Wish IDE Wishes

qsrtech

Licensed User
Longtime User
1. <ctrl> Left click identifier and automatically jump to definition/sub
2. re-sizable code completion drop down window
3. searchable sub drop down list (drop down list of subs). Should be able to start typing and matching subs are shown, pretty much like androids autocomplete text box.
4.Be able to skip adding a library's name when coding, I.E. if I have a routine called "SubTest" in a compliled library code module "SubCode", I want to be able to call SubTest w/o "SubCode.SubTest. I understand there could be issues with multiple routines,etc. with the same name. The way to handle it is a module priority list, so that if the modules name is not used, then the module with the highest priority is used.

qsrtech

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the keyboard short cuts. It's also nice to have GUI

Couple More Wishes:
1. add a searchable combobox beside the "subs" combobox for a list of the projects modules.
2. add a "play" button for "background compile"
3. add an option in the find/replace to ignore commented code
4. add a "-" at the bottom of a sub/region to allow it to be collapsed from the bottom as well. I understand there are lots of kb short cuts, again it's nice to have corresponding GUI elements.

Last edited:

qsrtech

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'd like to extend the wish of the "Ctrl-Click Identifier"
It'd be nice to be able to have a tooltip popup when the mouse hovers over an identifier giving the definition/type. If it's a sub perhaps it could have a "+" to roll it down to view the code, perhaps allowing direct editing w/o having to leave the current sub.

Also, I hope to see the class "properties" enhanced, here are a couple of options:
1. add a menu item "Create Property" which;
a) accepts a name and an updateable prefix with a default of perhaps "m_"
b) has checkboxes for "Use Get", "Use Set"
c) once user clicks "Create", then IDE automatically adds the get/set subs with defaults, i.e.

B4X:
dim m_MyProperty as AType

sub setMyProperty(value as AType)
m_MyProperty=value
end sub

'optional, could just read the "m_" variable directly
sub getMyProperty as AType
return m_MyProperty
end sub

2. perhaps add a "Property" identifier to use in the "Globals" sub
-it would go something like this:
B4X:
Property MyProperty as AType read m_MyProperty write setMyProperty 'this reads directly
or
B4X:
Property MyProperty as AType read getMyProperty write setMyProperty 'this creates a get sub
IDE then builds out the property as necessary
i.e.
B4X:
dim m_MyProperty as AType

sub setMyProperty(value as AType)
m_MyProperty=value
end sub

'optional, could just read the "m_" variable directly
sub getMyProperty as AType
return m_MyProperty
end sub

javiman6969

Licensed User
Longtime User
In a big project, that would be great code editor would work using 2 monitors...
Sometimes the editor is slow refreshing the color scheme on large projects.

Last edited:

GMan

Licensed User
Longtime User
My wish:
a menu that points i.e. to 10 Batch-Files for some personal links that i often need while developing (direct links to Tools, own or other software, special direct web links etc.
OR
the possibility to include own plugins, scripts or modules or so (with the same aim)

nikolaus

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel, I don't know If you like that in your forums. If so I could do a little tutorial and samples on Autohotkey specially for B4A users.

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think that would be very useful if Erel is happy.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel, I don't know If you like that in your forums. If so I could do a little tutorial and samples on Autohotkey specially for B4A users.
Sure. I use Autohotkey myself to automate some tasks.
This snippet converts code copied from the IDE to a JavaDoc code element:

#v::
clipboard = <code>`n%clipboard%</code>
StringReplace, clipboard, clipboard,`n, `n *, 1
SendInput ^v
return

GMan

Licensed User
Longtime User
You can use a tool such as AutoHotKey to run such scripts.
Yo, of course - and why not learning a 7th script language for such "simple" things ;)

IMHO a simple Click on a menu point is better then (additional) thinking about which HotKey to press in a complex environment / project

As i mentioned (and followed in my own software) IDE stands for INTEGRATED Dev.Env. :cool:

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Maybe I should have posted a simple script instead of the one above.

This script runs a batch file when you press on Windows button + z:
#z::Run C:\Users\H\Documents\java\createJars.bat

Can it be simpler than that?

It is better to concentrate on the core features. For example you can run batch files inside the compilation process with #CustomBuildAction.