Android Question Integer versus Long

mjcoon

Licensed User
I am getting the duration of a media file in ExoPlayer and writing it to an SQL d/b.

Originally I put the duration in an Int variable before writing it to the d/b via a Map (using DBUtils). It worked fine.

Then I noticed that "duration" in class SimpleExoPlayer is defined as "Long" (as is "position", naturally enough) so I changed my variables to Long.

But now I find when debugging my code I see the following:
Dim duration As Long
duration = player1.duration
with screen captures showing, while the project is paused just after the assignment:

player.duration=.png

and

duration=.png

I am baffled as to why an assignment without any casting is so wrong whereas with casting works fine...

Mike.

Computersmith64

Licensed User
Longtime User
Are you sure you're looking at duration after the assignment?

- Colin.

Upvote 0

mjcoon

Licensed User
Are you sure you're looking at duration after the assignment?

- Colin.

Thanks for that thought Colin, but I am absolutely certain. I didn't initially discover the problem by single-stepping like that, but by the consequence. You can just see the following "sql.ExecuteNonQuery2("INSERT..." call that writes file detail, including the duration, into the d/b. It was by using a sqlite browser to look at the file that I discovered that records inserted after I made the code change had the anomalous field value whereas earlier records were OK. I didn't say all that because I expected readers to believe my assertions! ;-)

Mike.

Upvote 0

mjcoon

Licensed User
I still don't have a "cut-down" version that displays my problem, but found that my work-around is not reliable either!

The snippet of code concerned is:
Dim updateFields As Map = CreateMap("duration": Starter.player1.duration, "sequence": maxSeq, "inplaylist": 1)
rowId = rowMap.Get("rowid")
DBUtils.UpdateRecord2(Starter.sql, "FilesList", updateFields, CreateMap("rowid" : rowId))

Note: this code is not exactly the same as the earlier example of the problem. Earlier was an sql INSERT whereas this one is a different part of the same sub with DBUtils.UpdateRecord2 and no use of "Long" casting.

The observation is of what is written to the d/b for the "duration" field. Consistently, if free-running under control of the debugger the d/b field is set to the largest negative Long value as shown in my screen-shots above (though, strangely, that was single-stepping as I said). Whereas if I single-step through the code the field value is correct. I would be happier if the distinction was the other way round!

Mike.

Upvote 0