Other Intellisense inconsistency, or is it just me?

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a lot of automatic muscle memory actions from editing items in Visual Studio and Basic4ppc for many many years and I am finding the the Intellisense completion in B4A keeps catching me out by not doing as I instinctively expect. Mainly the pressing the space bar does not always seem to insert the selected item in the Intellisense list.

For example if I start typing on a blank line "num" the Intellisense list pops up. I then up or down arrow to "NumberFormat" and press space expecting the Intellisense to complete and add a trailing space but all I get is an inserted space character. If I then press backspace and press ctl+space then Intellisense pops up again and after up or down arrow to select "NumberFormat" pressing space this time does do the completion and inserts the space character as expected.

Is this just my perception or does anyone else find this inconsistent? Is there some logic to this I am not seeing?

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
the key to use is TAB or something that follows to complete the full command ( for example in your num example

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

For example if I start typing on a blank line "num" the Intellisense list pops up. I then up or down arrow to "NumberFormat" and press space expecting the Intellisense to complete and add a trailing space but all I get is an inserted space character.

As far as I remember, it has ALWAYS behaved like this. The Space bar acts like an "abort" to the intelisense mechanism

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@sorex
Sorry, but that is irrelevant to my point. I am commenting on what I see as an inconsistency not asking for how to make completion work - which I DO know but which is not part of my usual automatic typing practice.

@Cableguy
It may have always worked like that in B4A but I am commenting on what I see as an inconsistency.

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
indeed, I see your point now. they behave a bit different on the space case.

Upvote 0

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I also found that on different platforms completion is done with different keys. There is a lack of uniformity.

You call it inconsistency, I use it I call it the lack of a standand. Regardless of the definition, the question is that the habits we have rooted using a platform lead us to make mistakes when we use another.

Personally now I'm used to and use the VB.net one way and in B4X in another without even noticing.

Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Well, there are other differences, for example to delete a line in b4x you have to press CTRL+Y (and if I remember well it was so even in VS), while in VS now it is CTRL+SHIFT+L.

It is not a big problem. It's just one of the many distinctive signs of b4x that make it better than its competitors :D

Upvote 0

alwaysbusy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If it is inconsistent between the B4X platforms, it should be addressed. Else, I think it has every right to stay as it is. It is not because one is accustomed to something in another IDE, all the rest should follow. I hate it that on MacOS the close button of a window is on the left, while I'm so used to it being on the right in Windows but Apple doesn't want to change it :D

It is probably a personal preference. I for one have no problem switching between IDE's (and I do it all the time). It is like if I see B4X code, my mind makes the switch and when working in Eclipse, another switch happens. Probably will have to see a doctor one day about that...

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Why can't you see that we Don't see it the way you do? as @alwaysbusy pointed, "we" would consider it an inconstantcy if the behaviour was diferent from one IDE to Anoher within the B4X Suite!
It behaves the same in all 4 IDEs so it is Consistent across the suite

Upvote 0

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
We have understood all what you mean. That the intellisence to two different behaviors within the IDE.
I have to use the tab to complete the text when opening the intellisense as you type while you can use the space to complete the text if you access the IntenseSense with Ctrl + Space.

Do not underestimate yourself or rather do not overestimate yourself. :p

We probably have a different opinion from yours. Can you accept them?

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
this is what Graham tries to explain

the space in the second line is added and not acting as an intellisense escaper.

cap.gif

Upvote 0

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
this is what Graham tries to explain

the space in the second line is added and not acting as an intellisense escaper.

View attachment 75959
We have understood well enough since the first post. for me it is not a contradiction but two different methods is completeness.:D:D

Walt Whitman said:
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Auto complete works in two modes: implicit and explicit.

In implicit mode (no ctrl-space) auto-complete avoids completing when you click on space. This is done on purpose as without it there will be many cases where it will complete things that the developer didn't expect.

Upvote 0