iOS Question IOS download folder question

JesseW

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm creating a commercial app for truck drivers to find delivery customers for both android and ios, using b4xpages. It displays a list of customers and when one is touched, it gives some basic info such as paid miles and gps coords. then the Maps button can be touched to cause google maps to be launched via an intent to drop a pin and zoom in.

my question is this: every now and then, a customer moves to a new location, changes names, goes away or a new one needs added to the list. I *WAS* going to do this by emailing a base64 encoded list to the drivers, with instructions to copy the email via select all then switch back to my app which would catch the clipboard info, decode it, and save the new list and/or settings to internal safe storage. but... leave it to apple lol... ios 15 has a new security feature which blocks clipboard transfers between apps.

I am at a loss as to how to get a simple 8k text file from the app on one phone (using admin access within the app) to another. I was thinking about just sending the files as email attachments and having the drivers save them, but newer versions of os's can make snooping around internal storage for a file difficult, if possible at all. I can't upload the file to a server the drivers app could download from because it's not an official company app, it's just something I'm doing for the other drivers. and I love to code šŸ˜ I'm also wondering about what happens from within the email app once an attachment is touched. If there was just some way to coax the email app to hand the file off to my app via an intent of something, that'd be great. but I'm afraid my knowledge is too limited to get that to work lol

any ideas appreciated. thx!!!

JesseW

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the help, but these seem to be for how to handle files inside an app. I already do this with LoadCSV2 and SaveCSV2. I'm trying to figure out how to get an incoming file, like via email, info my app so I can save it in the apps internal safe dir. I'm thinking I need a custom filename extension like .ztxt or something, and then register that extension so when an incoming file is "clicked on" inside an email app, it'll send it to my app via an intent for b4a, and however b4i handles those things. If I missed something in the examples, pls explain. thanks!

or... how to access them once email has saved them

Upvote 0

JesseW

Licensed User
Longtime User
never mind! on further review, I found the ios15 security feature securepaste, only applies if an app designer implements it in their app. I can still use the copy and paste method. yay!

Upvote 0