iOS Question [iOS] Library framework

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am planning to give Objective-C a try and see if I can wrap something simple for B4i.
Later on, when I have some more experience, I would like to tackle something more complicated. So as I usually do, I always look a head at my main goal that I have in mind.

In this regard, I was looking at a future project (ffmpeg) where the instructions says:

There are two options to use the ffmpeg frameworks in a project.
The first and official way is to use Cocoapods. Adding mobile-ffmpeg dependency to the project Podfile and running pod install is enough to complete the installation. Cocoapods will download necessary libraries and update project files for you.
If Cocoapods is not available or it is not possible to use Cocoapods on your project, then you can install IOS frameworks yourself

I believe I read somewhere here in the forum that it is easier (big word, I know) to use an iOS Framework instead of using Cocoapods. Well, I will find out later on I guess. However, apparently there is a third option:
By default IOS releases are published and used as static frameworks. But top-level build script (ios.sh) generates universal binaries too and it is possible to use them if it is not possible to import frameworks.
Would it be possible to use "universal binaries" as well when wrapping a library for B4i? I am unsure if "universal binaries" mentioned is equivalent to using native so-libraries as we do in android.

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry for not being clear. I was referring to the third option I wrote about in my post i.e. using universal binaries.
I believe they are static libraries ending with ".a" which stands for "archive". So the question is if can we use them in a wrapped library. For instance, in B4A/Android we would put them in the Lib-folder. Is there something equivalent in B4i/iOS?

Upvote 0