iOS Question IPA Deployment - 'Unable to Install' message

Falcon

Licensed User
Hi Experts,

I am having a problem trying to give my client a link to use so that he may install my compiled IPA file on his device.
I will give as much info as I can think of and hopefully some expert can help me.

You see the IDE compiles my code with no problems (Build Release App), and I get a 'Application compliled with store provision profile' message at the end.
I use the latest certificate and profiles from my Apple Account.

I have this in my code:
B4X:
#If RELEASE
   #ProvisionFile: Release_Profile.mobileprovision  
#Else
   #ProvisionFile: Development_Profile.mobileprovision  
#END IF

Now I've tried both Erel's OTA deployer as well as the Diawi.com free internet service and I get the same problem on both.
In both cases, my IPA file uploads with no errors and I get correctly get a link.
When I then go to the link, a message pops up saying 'xxx would like to install "My App Name here", I then click install, and it appears to be
installing (I am using the Ipad I used for Development to test if the Install link works before I give it to my client).

It takes a minute or so as the App is installing and the little icon on the Ipad desktop gradually fills up (the circle) as it is loading. Once it has filled up completely
the icon goes black.

When I now click on it I get 'Unable to Install "My App Name Here". Please try again later. And this is my problem!
Why is it doing this?

In my Apple Developer account I have the following:

Under Certificates:
-------------------------------
I have one of Type 'IOS Distribution', Platform 'iOS'

Under Devices:
I have two, one is the Ipad I used for Development, the other is my client's Iphone. I have put the correct UDID for both of them.

Under Profiles
I have two, the one I use for Development, Platform = iOS, Type = 'Ad hoc'
The other I use for Release, Platform = iOS, Type = 'App Store'

Please help!!

Thank you very much for your time,

Regards,
Jacques

Hamied Abou Hulaikah

Licensed User
Longtime User
Similar case happened for me before, Some time your app compiled successfully, but You have a logic error in your code that is not parsed as compiling error.
Try review your code again

Upvote 0

Falcon

Licensed User
Hi HAH, thanks for the reply.

The thing is that if I run my app through B4i-Bridge it works fine. It installs, the icon turns blue and when I click on it it works 100%.
So therefore I can't have a logic error as you suggest,
It is just when I try to install the IPA file that I get this problem.

I am trying to get info on the internet, but so far no luck, so I really hope someone can help me here, maybe the grandmaster Erel himself? :)

Just on a side note, people say to check that the device UDID is registered with the profile, I am assuming that all I have to do to acheive this is to add it to 'Devices' in my Apple Account?

Upvote 0

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
It might be something of the following:

a) 1st of all to install outside of AppStore you will definitelly need a Development provision profile (ad hoc)
b) Note that a Development provision profile can hold up to 100 UDIDs
c) In this provision profile you will need to add the UDID of the device of your client
d) adding the UDID in the available devices is not enough but you have to put a check next to it in the proper page (if I remember correctly it is where you download it)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Falcon

Licensed User
Hi Guys thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Erel (or any other expert) I just want to clarify something with you.

So in my Apple Account I should have the following:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* 2 x Profiles: One is 'Ad Hoc' and one is 'App Store'.
* 1 x Certificate of type 'iOS Distribution'

Then in my app should the following IF statement look like this:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B4X:
#If RELEASE
      #ProvisionFile: AppStore_Profile.mobileprovision 
#Else
      #ProvisionFile: AdHoc_Profile.mobileprovision
#END IF

Sorry for all the 'noob' questions, and thank you again for a great forum and product! :)

Upvote 0