Is Android gonna die?

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Samsung went for Tizen OS for their TVs which is imho a big failure as it only runs apps they deliver. So I expect they go back to Android again.
M$'s new 'Windows phones' will run on Android.
Google's Chrome OS has a layer that runs Android apps now and not only the Chrome apps.

I expect that the Fusia OS will be partly backwarth compatible to support Android apps aswell otherwise their Play store is useless for it.

No need to worry I guess.

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It's like: Oh, see here. We've invented a new wheel. Like "afuf" (another f**** useless framework) which makes everything "easier". Android will be stable for decades. So don't worry. Noone want's to develop for another OS again which doesn't bring any efforts for users or developers.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I still remember the time that UE fined M$ so hard that everyone said "Windows is dead" and over 10 years after... we still use Windows on our machines... Linux was "the next best thing ever" and it had stayed in 3rd place for ever... even Apple has suffered of "dead" rumours...
So... why prepare a funeral if the patient isn't dead yet?

Last edited:

Winni

Licensed User
Longtime User
Linux was "the next best thing ever" and it had stayed in 3rd place for ever...

Hm, well... On the - by now almost irrelevant - desktop, that might be true. But Linux very much owns the server rooms and the data centers these days, with Windows Server being a rather distant second. Over the last ten years in my job, at least (!) two thirds of all servers in my environments ran on Linux and Windows Server was just a niche player.

Most software that people use every day runs in the browser anyway - and that browser usually is either Chrome or Firefox. Safari or Edge... Unimportant.

As for Android: Linux-powered, by the way. But at least on the tablet it's dead -- the Google Android website does not mention tablets anymore; Google wants users to use ChromeOS on tablets now.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
too bad a lot of these web based solutions (that the people at work need to use atleast) run on that .net shite and I doubt a lamp solution can deal with that so it's IIS only.
it's also causing real slow downs due to that (constant) re-compilation of the .net crap. I personally hate it and prefer the amp threesome.

keirS

Licensed User
Longtime User
As for Android: Linux-powered, by the way. But at least on the tablet it's dead -- the Google Android website does not mention tablets anymore; Google wants users to use ChromeOS on tablets now.

Amazon are still heavily commited to Android tablets. They are now selling more tablets than Samsung.

Paulo Rosa

Licensed User
Samsung went for Tizen OS for their TVs which is imho a big failure as it only runs apps they deliver. So I expect they go back to Android again.
M$'s new 'Windows phones' will run on Android.
Google's Chrome OS has a layer that runs Android apps now and not only the Chrome apps.

I expect that the Fusia OS will be partly backwarth compatible to support Android apps aswell otherwise their Play store is useless for it.

No need to worry I guess.
I have to disagree with you. I own a 2016 49" Samsung Tizen TV set. I'm very happy with the system and I don't miss any feature or app at all. It think Tizen it's perfect for a TV set, as long as you use the TV only for entertainment (watching TV channels, movies and series from Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, etc.). Tizen is very stable, fast and reliable, contrary to what I know about Android TV. I also have a 2013 pre Tizen Samsung TV set, but definitively my newer Tizen TV set is much more simpler to use and configure.

Cheers,

Paulo Rosa

Licensed User
In my opinion, Google is going the wrong way. I don't buy that "one system fits all" idea. Microsoft also tried to go that way, with Windows 10, that was originally planned as an OS that would fit all devices. As you know, MS didn't have success with that...

Cheers,

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm very happy with the system and I don't miss any feature or app at all.

well, our internet/tv provider has their own tv streaming app and you can't install it on Tizen since it's not IOS nor Android.
Only the pre-installed ones can be used which are/were useless in our case.

The provider goes over coax and we don't have that in that building and pulling it for 1 tv was pure overkill (was 2300 euros or so for some reason)
so bypassing that via the app was the only chance we had. I think we used an Android mini pc to bypass it.

The tv was bought with gifts without passing our (IT) department first. I would never have bought the Tizen version if I could select one.

Indeed, MS tends to fail all the time with most of their selections. That Windows 8 RT for tablets didn't let you install anything non-MS.
So they were selling tablets expensive as hell and about the only thing you could use was Office.
I'm not sure which path they took with Windows 10 for their tablet line tho.

Paulo Rosa

Licensed User
well, our internet/tv provider has their own tv streaming app and you can't install it on Tizen since it's not IOS nor Android.
Only the pre-installed ones can be used which are/were useless in our case.

The provider goes over coax and we don't have that in that building and pulling it for 1 tv was pure overkill (was 2300 euros or so for some reason)
so bypassing that via the app was the only chance we had. I think we used an Android mini pc to bypass it.

The tv was bought with gifts without passing our (IT) department first. I would never have bought the Tizen version if I could select one.

Indeed, MS tends to fail all the time with most of their selections. That Windows 8 RT for tablets didn't let you install anything non-MS.
So they were selling tablets expensive as hell and about the only thing you could use was Office.
I'm not sure which path they took with Windows 10 for their tablet line tho.

I understand your frustration, but maybe you should put some pressure on your TV provider, in order to urge it to make a Tizen app? As Samsung is the world's leading TV seller, I think that your provider should consider that. My Samsung Tizen TV has a streaming app from my TV provider.

Maybe the solution for you is an Amazon Fire TV Stick? It runs Android, although it's Amazon version of Android... I have one of those sticks on an old 50" Panasonic plasma TV and it works very well, it's a much better solution then the Chromecast I used before.

As for Windows 10 and tablets, no complains from me. I have a desktop PC running Windows 10 Pro. My wife has an Asus T100TA Transformer Tablet. It runs smoothly Windows 10 32 bit, despite being a system launched on 2013 and despite it's modest hardware: 3 GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC system disk, 500 GB hard disk.

Cheers,