Is IoT dead?

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Well... I have 3 Raspberries and 5 ESP8266 and did a lot of funny things with them. Lighting LED's, remote control them, check the status of the GPIO's. I could do a complete home automation.

Last week I saw the "Raspberry goes to space" documentation. But even here they only measured temperatures, cabine pressure, orbital height. To me not "that wow feeling".

So to me it is just a toy which I play with. It is good for kids to learn how to develop sw but I don't think that there will a "revolution".

What do you think?

somed3v3loper

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think it is "wow " for the ones learning to develop home automation and such things but after that it becomes a tool that you either need it or you don't even need to think about it .
Please note that I did not do any IoT :D

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
When Alexander Graham Bell built his first telephone prototype, he went to New york and showed it to Rockefeller.. Rockefeller asked him, well it's nice but what can I do with this toy? and eventually turned him down.

JakeBullet70

Licensed User
Longtime User
Remember though that IoT is not the Raspberry and yes, the Raspberry is a learning toy (and much more) and a REALLY fun one at that.
The definition of IoT is:

"The Internet of Things (IoT) is the network of physical objects—devices, vehicles, buildings and other items—embedded with electronics, software, sensors, and network connectivity that enables these objects to collect and exchange data."

I myself think that the IoT has just started.

JakeBullet70

Licensed User
Longtime User
But again. The raspberry Pi is quite capable of being a low to medium duty dedicated email server, or a MQTT server. The list goes on.

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Don't ask what can IOT do for you, but what can you do with the IOT....or it was from somewhere else?:D

The key for me is "utility".
On one side, Raspberry PI, Arduinos and others have given to many users, who didn't have the skills or time to build their own boards, the possibility to expand programming beyond a PC or mobile device very cheaply.
But once they see that a LED, a push-key or a sensor can be controlled, they are abandoned in a box...

But if this sensor for instance monitors a door being open, a remote measure of any kind... you can transmit it through the internet and receive a notification in your android device, then push a button and fire an alarm or control something...the world is at your hands

dilettante

Licensed User
Longtime User
"IoT" means different things to different people. But to the industry it seems to be changing to "spying on people through their 'things' to track them far beyond what we do now through their browser use."

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I like this graph:

Gartner.png

It illustrates the expectations from new technologies over time.

The idea of connecting more and more things will not go away. It doesn't mean that everything needs to be connected to the internet. The challenge here is to find real-world use cases. For example I can see many use cases for "connected things" in agriculture solutions.