is there a way to peek-poke ?

robotop

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all, here I am, again, with a question. This is my second day with B4A ; I'm interested in tablets (without phone circuitry) to use as controllers for microprocessor based projects. The most importatnt part is the communication with the micro. Actually, I think to do this using UDP packets, but I will need for a network device on my hardware. I discovered that an RS232 port is available on the expansion port of my tablet, near to usb and ethernet. I searched for any way to use tty0 with B4A, but only found examples using the bluetooth serial adapter. My tablet hasn't bluetooth, so it's unusable, for me. Now, finally, the question: is there any way to access the hardware with instructions like (old fashioned) peek and poke ? If I know the address of the I/O device, I can use it (the uart, in this case) with my own procedures. Yes, I know, it's a dirty job, but consider that's not a public distributable application, it's just for me.
Any ideas on how to approach the problem ? (any suggestion will be highly appreciated...)
I'll wait for the experts, thanks

Merlot2309

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Robotop,

Just pop in to say: Hello and welcome to B4A.

I wasn't sure yesterday but now
Robotop -> Italy -> Microprocessor: nice to meet you here.

There are quite some experts here so I wonder how much time it will take to get your app alive.

Greets,
Helen.

Upvote 0

robotop

Licensed User
Longtime User
only mountains doesn't meet !

@Erel:
thank you for the suggestion, I've had a short view on the IOIO project page, but I'm still looking for any way to use the available resources on my tablet, without using external interfaces. If I can't find such way, ok, I will play with the IOIO... :)

@Helen:
I can't believe...are you the formerly known Kobus, from 2009 PPL forum ?
I highly suspect that's true. So, both of us are now jumping to another platform... I'm really very happy to meet you again, after so long time :)

Upvote 0

Merlot2309

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

Yes Kobus, my parrots name, still alive and kicking (he knows 2 spanish words now: hola and agua) and so am I.

Really great that you got to B4A, I'm sure that you will like it here.
PPL was the worst that I ever encountered and I think it was the same for you after all (it's very dead).
Must say that untill now I got everything that I want/need running in B4A.

Do you have holiday plans? France again? I know it's very off topic, but it's so nice that you showed up here (clever man, ha, ha).

Well, success for now and see you soon.

Helen.

Upvote 0

robotop

Licensed User
Longtime User
yes, Merlot (like the wine), we are really out-of-topic, as in the past on PPL forum :D . PPL was full of bugs, but I have had a better feeling with it than with the M$ alternative... (much more filled of bugs); so, never shot the target with that approach, but, non so bad.
B4A seems to be much less buggy, for the moment. I'm just starting to dig in it, but it seems to be well managed. I think I can use it for my projects.
Feel free to contact me in any "probably true corner", ciao :D

Upvote 0