Android Question Isometric game in B4A

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi

I'm trying to get my head round the basics of creating an isometric game in B4A, can anyone point me in the direction of some good examples or tutorials please.

I'm not looking for something of the complexity of Unity. It's more along the lines of the old ZX Spectrum (8 bit computing for those that aren't old enough to remember!) games... Relatively simple and blocky in it's look.

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
In the LibGDX library there is a domino's example, it might be of use to you. There were also a couple of others as I recall that may help.

Reactions: eps
Upvote 0

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
I did something like that a long time ago, but I didn't finish it (mostly because I can't draw, so it ended up looking like crap anyway).

Basically, it's a matter of drawing the objects in the right order. Draw each object stack bottom up, and do the rear stacks first. Start at the bottom backmost object, then the object on top of that et cetera, then you move towards the front and draw the next stack.

The objects are not real 3D objects in anyway, they are just flat sprites drawn to look like 3D, placed on the screen in a specific order.

Upvote 0

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
In the LibGDX library there is a domino's example, it might be of use to you. There were also a couple of others as I recall that may help.

I must have the wrong examples, the dominos one that I've found is simply 2D with them falling on to a table or surface below, from the left or right end of a couple of shelves..?

Upvote 0

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
For examples of isometric 3D games, google for classics such as 3D Ant Attack (to the best of my knowledge the first) and Alien 8. If you want a little newer, the UFO: Enemy Unknown series also relies on isometric 3D.

Upvote 0

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry to have misled you, I was just going off memory and thought that the dominos were 3D wire frames. It's been a while since I looked at it.

Upvote 0

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi

I'm trying to get my head round the basics of creating an isometric game in B4A, can anyone point me in the direction of some good examples or tutorials please.

I'm not looking for something of the complexity of Unity. It's more along the lines of the old ZX Spectrum (8 bit computing for those that aren't old enough to remember!) games... Relatively simple and blocky in it's look.

there are lot of isometric plugin for photoshop,... and u can create isometric graphics and use them in your app

Upvote 0