Wish Java Wishes

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
1: Would it be possible to create a version of the IDE downloads that bundle the B4X OpenJDK?

2: Would it be possible for Anywhere Software to switch from Oracle JDK 8 to the BellSoft JDK 8? The reasoning behind this request is so that users who use JDK 8 don't need to create an oracle account.

Edit: Updated wish #2. I didn't word it properly

2: Would it be possible for Anywhere Software to switch to the BellSoft JDK? The "Full" JDK for B4J and the "Standard" JDK for Android. The reasoning behind this request is so that users who use JDK 8 don't need to create an oracle account.

Last edited:

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Re#2: what keeps you from using Beelsoft’s JDK vs Oracle in regards to 1.8? Also, what keeps you from using Bellsoft’s JDK for B4X development? From what I can tell, it just works

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
Re#2: what keeps you from using Beelsoft’s JDK vs Oracle in regards to 1.8? Also, what keeps you from using Bellsoft’s JDK for B4X development? From what I can tell, it just works
Nothing. When I was using JDK 8.0 that's what I used. I want AS to use this instead of the Oracle JDK for JDK 8.0 (Due to Oracle requiring an account to download JDK 8.0)

2) Why? What problem have you encountered with OpenJdk 11 or 14?
No problems at all with 11/14. I was talking about having the BellSoft JDK 8.0 to replace the Oracle JDK 8.0 for B4X IDEs. (Due to Oracle requiring an account to download JDK 8.0)

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My assumption (yeah, was guessing here) was that it had something to do with JavaFX. BellSoft has nice versions that are bundled with JavaFX, plus they keep up with maintenance releases (the OpenJDK 11 on AnywhereSoftware's website is 11.0.1and BellSoft's is at 11.0.8), which in some cases matters.

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
Java 11+ is the future. No reason to spend efforts with Java 8.

If you want a more updated Java then use OpenJDK 14 or use any other version you like :)

Fully agree and is why I've transitioned to Open JDK 14 and why I'm asking for wish #1. (wish #2 is for devs who use version 8 but don't want to create an account with Oracle just to download it; important since B4A is now free.)

I've modified wish #2 as I didn't articulate it properly.