B4J Question JavaFX SDK not working properly on JVM (vmWare/VirtualBox)

ThRuST

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have waited a long time to post this due to alot of tests regarding this, but here it comes.

Is JavaFX SDK working as expected on the virtual Macs and/or real hardware you have tried?

From my own experience SDK's does not work well on macOSX High Sierra and Mojave.
The Java settings pane on Mojave is empty on JVM. Not sure about real hardware though.
However on EL Capitan (vmWare) everything seems to work fine except some pasting enigma with the 'v' char.

Used for testing: Windows 7, Windows 10, vmWare v10, 12 and 15. SDK 8 and also 9.0.4.
CPUs: AMD Phenom II 3.4 GHz, Intel Core i7 3.6 GHz (4.7 GHz OC).
macOSX El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave.

Own Test Results: VmWare v15 worked best with Win 10, SDK 9.0.4, i7 9700 on macOSX El Capitan (vmWare image)

Please share your experiences with the community.
Include what specs you tested SDK with or everyone will end up confused.

Last edited:

keirS

Licensed User
Longtime User
Well I have not had an issue yet when it comes to using a real mac and high sierra. But, JavaFX relies on the GPU and its accelerations, and that has changed significantly in Mac OS, they switched to the Metal API which they flipped the switch in Mojave, so older machines with older GPUs (like mine) are now shut out.

Also VMs dont emulate or even provide support for GPU acceleration, so its of no surprise.

ESXi supports PCI pass through so there are VM environments that do support GPU's.

Upvote 0

FrancescoS

Licensed User
Longtime User
@ThRuST
I have same problem.
I have tested VmWare 14 (OSX 10.13.6 and 10.14.14) + JDK 8.211 or JDK 10.0.2 : all the java form are empty inside (same problem for all java program, not only B4J)
In java console I receive the following error:
2019-04-29 22:54:47.338 java[713:13086] CGLChoosePixelFormat error: 10002
2019-04-29 22:54:47.338 java[713:13086] CGLCreateContext error: 10002

Searching on internet, seems a JavaFx bug/incompatibility with VmWare OSX 10.13 VM and above.
Some posts resolve the issue editing a file called "GlassView3D.m".
Look: https://bugs.java.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=8154852
It seems resolved, but I can't do it.

Thanks
Francesco

Upvote 0