B4J Question JGoogleMaps - How to setup???

cougar

Licensed User
Longtime User
So, after 9 years of working with B4A, and finally updating to V12 last week, I have decided to jump in to B4J. My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but I spent hours last night trying to find this answer. I also saw that Erel recently updated the library but I can't reply to that post so here we are. I wouldn't have started a new post if I could've replied to that one.

Question is...how do I set this up? I followed the instructions the best that I could but when I open the example I get a "can't find Google Maps. Are you missing a reference?" message. Obviously, I don't actually have it because the name "gmap" isn't recognized and it doesn't show up in my libraries pane. I did put the jar/xml files in the libraries/additional libraries folder. I downloaded Java19. But, I'm an idiot because I have no idea what to actually download for the actual map and where to put it. I did go to the link (github) and downloaded what I thought might be it. I then unzipped and had no idea where to put any of that.

Just looking for some help for an idiot who is thoroughly confused. Be patient with me. Lol.

Also, if this is not the map tool I should be using then let me know. I know things change quickly. I looked at various other map options and I am aware of the API key issue with Google Maps. I just need a map that I can draw points/lines to and view. I really don't care what that is as long as it can be used to build a basic GIS type system.

Thanks in advance!

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

cougar

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Klaus. You were the first response to my first question on B4A 9 years ago. That led to a whole lot of anguish over the years so thanks for that. Lol. In regard to "without seeing what you've done", I've done nothing. I downloaded Erels example. Put the jar/xml files in the libraries folder (and additional libraries) just because I was having problems. I then opened the example and was met with the question about missing a Google Maps reference. That's it. I just don't know where to get the Google Maps files I need, nor do I know where to put them. With most libraries I just copy the jar/xml files and go from there. This is a bit different I suppose. Anyway, I appreciate your assistance. Last night, I did look through the thread link you provided, along with a few more. I guess I just needed a "Setup Google Maps on B4J for Dummies" tutorial. Ha. Thanks again! I will keep playing with it.

Upvote 0

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I suppose that you have an example project.
If yes, post it as a zip file so we can see what you have done and how.
And on this we could give concrete advices.
Anyway, to use GoogleMaps you need to have Google Id to use it.

Upvote 0