B4J Question jSerial and Windows XP 32bit

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
jSerial should run correctly also on Windows Xp pro 32 bit ?
I ask this because I have read this post and I do not understand well if it is only about making the project self-starting or it refers to the need to use java11 and therefore also the jSerial project is limited to running on 64-bit operating systems

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It is a wonder you can even compile under Win XP... (if you are using it for your dev platform PC).

Years ago, I was happily developing with XP. THEN, one day (without any updates of B4X or XP) - it all stopped (no compile)...
Fought it for two weeks until I relented and bought a new Win 8.1 machine. All worked (and is still working) great.

XP has been EOL for many days now. Try to support anything on a defunct OS is akin to a "death by a thousand cuts".
You may never resolve your issues under XP, as I was not, but hey - how much frustration are you willing to endure - and support thereafter?

My 2 pesos...

Upvote 0

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
It is a wonder you can even compile under Win XP... (if you are using it for your dev platform PC).

Years ago, I was happily developing with XP. THEN, one day (without any updates of B4X or XP) - it all stopped (no compile)...
Fought it for two weeks until I relented and bought a new Win 8.1 machine. All worked (and is still working) great.

XP has been EOL for many days now. Try to support anything on a defunct OS is akin to a "death by a thousand cuts".
You may never resolve your issues under XP, as I was not, but hey - how much frustration are you willing to endure - and support thereafter?

My 2 pesos...

No, I can't compile using Windows XP, unless I use a virtual machine just for that purpose
The workstations are all updated and with 64bit operating system
What I wanted to understand is if I can create a package with a program that uses jSerial, which is then intended to be installed and run on Xp 32 bit

Upvote 0

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
java 11 only comes in x64, you could use java 8 that has a x86 package but you could not use packager.

So, if I can't use the Packager function, using a development workstation with Windows 10 64bit, and B4J configured to use Java 8, how can I create a package to install and then run on a 32-bit Windows XP?

Upvote 0

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
Java 8 doesn't officially support Windows XP.
Why do you need to create a package for Windows XP?

The old packager can be used to create 32 bit packages. You need to use a 32 bit JDK.

As I see it, it is a waste of time. Distribute the jar file for the few users who run 32 bit OS.

"..Why do you need to create a package for Windows XP?.." because i have a pc with Win Xp (it may be that i did not understand the question)

".. You need to use a 32 bit JDK..." Can I always do it from a 64-bit Win 10 workstation or is it essential to use a workstation with a 32-bit operating system?

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
"..Why do you need to create a package for Windows XP?.." because i have a pc with Win Xp (it may be that i did not understand the question)
If you have a single Windows XP machine then it will be more efficient to install Java yourself and copy the jar to that computer.

Can I always do it from a 64-bit Win 10 workstation or is it essential to use a workstation with a 32-bit operating system?
You can do it from a 64 bit computer as long as Java 32 bit is used.

Upvote 0