just for discussion: Why B4X is not famous enough

Cadenzo

Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't know, if I should start a new thread here, but it is still about the question, how to make B4X more popular. So I think for SEO reasons it would be good to have some informations also on other websites with links to this forum. If time allows, I also would start a small, growing html help (online-book) to collect all notes, that are just important for me and my projects.

So my question: If we want to publish code on or website (for us, for students,...) do we have something like a CSS template (like in the code section here) to show well formatted code snippets on our website? When I publish code on my website it looks like nothing. That's why I chose to do it with word (copy from the IDE) and publish PDF. But html would be better.

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
'B4A- or B4J- Help' I never used as I never felt comfortable with it...
Which one do you speak of?
If it's B4X Help Viewer, can you please tell me what you are not comfortable with?
Everything can be improved.

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
😅
SHOOOO Masses and masses of suggestions and opinions on how to get Out There.

I have noticed that there are a number of new registrations on the forum, so @Erel reports this as well, over the past months. Whether that is part of the lockdowns or not is largely irrelevant.

The whole advertising debate is fine, but, whether a cost benefit analysis will prove the advantage will require an amount of cash to be spent, which may be just a waste of time. That advertising has to emerge better on the landing page, where else, I haven't seen a computer magazine on a shop shelf for years. What's the cost of advertising in the online platforms? Its still about cost benefit.

The way to this has to be just to get the web site looked at by people )yup that old chestnut(. Then this has to have some currency :
1587155070208.png

I doubt those names are there without authorisation, Anywhere isn't that dumb. So what could change here is that each of those names becomes clickable and points to projects that these have used the IDE for. There is the SHOWCASE link right at the bottom left of the landing page, that could be made more prominent so viewers can go and see the sort of projects that have been done. (I used to tell my worker representative comrades we don't get enough kilometers out of our successes.)

But, getting those viewers past that point is like trying to force the horse to drink at the water trough. If the @Peter Simpson competitioand its follow-up, as I have said here before, were what people read about that is an evidence based view of the speed etc possible. That thread could be made more visible as a "Why Use B4x products - read this link..." more prominently on the landing page. Maybe edit and shorten it a bit to focus it more.

As we probably all know, programmers are fairly embedded in their approaches to the work and the language in use. Every, language is just : if-then-else, while until, for-next, and so on. Have a look at this page (posted in another thread) and go to the examples themselves. You will notice that many of these examples look pretty much the same as each other [they just scroll away so press the down scroll and watch the patterns], the layouts, the Begin End, curly-bracket, etc.. Same. Every now and again someone, probably in an academic department, thinks there is a new dedicated way to do something, a lot of these "innovations" are barely practical. Object orientation, class structuring blah blah. Most students struggle like hell to grasp this sort of thing.

So impressing on someone you know/ don't know that if they cut the hogwash they can get to a platform that is NOT that hard to learn, NOT that difficult to find information about, and, to boot, has loads of examples that are available. And, its here in B4X.

I've been using B4A/X for just over a year now and would never have developed 4 apps in that space of time with some other fangled thing. CERTAINLY not Android Studio which is where I started, and, I can't get my stuff back out of MIT A2! Incidentally, if I remember my old brain took about an hour to get the hang getting something to appear on my phone -> what can I say?

I haven't found it difficult to find information, or to ask for assistance on some pretty idiot stuff, and complex stuff. If you can Google, why can't you use the forum and the booklets. I also do a lot of technical writing and editing of manuals and such, well the project to reorganise the information would be interesting and take a long time. But, its not in such bad shape, really. @Cableguy was attempting to do this with ABMaterials to bolster up the documentation. Not sure where that went but I looked at attempting to help and its a BIG job, involving the same search and digest strategy one uses on Google. Its just as quick as reading the manual that comes with other languages or using the IDE help with their package. Have you tried the Arduino IDE? Hello B4X documentation, you're welcome.

Its not that this grass is any greener than over the fence, but where I live we class veld grasses as sweet or sour, animals will go for the sweetveld. Many have commented here that B4X is BETTER than Kotlin, Android Studio, MIT A2 and so on. I found these all over on the sourveld paddock.

We need to put out some nonsense projects that show new prospects how to learn about B4X and its probabilities; I put one in a thread Guess whose been extended with lockdown converter as an example of such a thing. Took an hour or two including looking up and searching the forum and couple of shots @klaus 's documentation. {O, hang on, there's the Tutorials and Examples Forum, what was I thinking?}

I am working on a teacher or two to bring this IDE into their primary school teaching programmes.

My money is on working on those sons and daughters, anyone looking around, and even the hard wired friends who have their noses in the air at "BASIC !".

We have to tell them it's NOT THAT BASIC, its basic as in easy. Make a challenge page: Go here to challenge yourself to a @Peter Simpson style challenge, just you and yourself. The page will have a few suggestions - write a program to input a number in decimal and covert it to base whatever. Write a program to calculate the seconds between your birthday and today. Any other offers?

Read this link if you haven't about COBOL: a geriatric of similar vintage to BASIC, both apparently still going strong. Some object oriented perspective lessons.

Most of all remind these people not to be lazy, too many use things because they don't know anything else, forced by the brainwashing of their education.

Be a hacker.
Shoooo Lockdown is verbose 😅 we've just come to day one of the extension . . . .

Last edited:

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User

vecino

Licensed User
Longtime User
Making it easier for teachers and parents to use B4X for teaching is one of our goals.
Very good idea.
Teachers are often the ones who instill in their students the use of one language or another.
That's where the seedbed for future B4X users is.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I just visited vbforums just now and very disappointed with some of the comments there. Some “old-school” members just having mindset of the last decade. It is obvious I feel it is merrier over here than the dead forum.

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I just visited vbforums just now and very disappointed with some of the comments there. Some “old-school” members just having mindset of the last decade. It is obvious I feel it is merrier over here than the dead forum.
Thanks for the link, I read too.
But honestly I do not find any thing wrong in their perspective. Erel has already replied politely and specifically to the queries.
Comparison will be always there, even if B4X was call FastAndroid or so. Then people may compare with Android Studio etc.

We just have to keep on moving and develop better and faster and easier ways to develop an app. Rest will fall in time.

Regards,

Anand

cd1001

Licensed User
Longtime User
I strongly suggest to go further down this road. They key is to show them, how the transition could be made. With examples how they could overcome the barriers vb6 gives them today. I'm afraid there are some old guys who whish to reach their retirement without any challenges. For them even B4x looks like a fight they don't want to pick. But these old dogs are the loudest barking. I'm confident, that there are a lot of vb6-guys who are willing to give b4x a shot.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Why JavaScript or Java is on top of the list? Another reason that came into my mind is JavaScript is supported in literally any browser, while it seems Microsoft itself is killing vbscript. What happen if back to the 2 decades ago more web browsers were adopting vbscript or variant of BASIC language? I believe it is not going to be the same. In today world, apps are developed to run on web browsers instead of running as standalone windows desktop solutions. And when NodeJS came out, it has changed JavaScript to become a backend language alternative. I hope language similar to BASIC like B4X can continue to play more important role to become a language to develop client-server solutions or backend/frontend solutions. Cheers. ;)

Herbert32

Licensed User
Longtime User
Which one do you speak of?
If it's B4X Help Viewer, can you please tell me what you are not comfortable with?
Everything can be improved.
I know this and I really show big respect on all that work which all participants on this great project carry out.

B4X Help Viewer, i tried one single time after trying vader-consulting's B4x Object-Browser and found that it does not give me efforts above vader's solution which I found useful. - So I never thought about it. - maybe I should retry - as after looking today and updating vader's solution it does not work anymore.

In Detail it shows again what I mean... - even if Erel's really impressing Job helps us to develop solutions very fast, it's very hard for newcomers to achieve this knowledge...
Most Users and newtime-Developers expect everything in a way which B4X does not supply...

I learned to walk with B4X without help except this forum - but others will not...

This is really bad as Erel's job is better than all other competitors outside :-(

anyway... - after vader's solution is disabled here now as it does not work anymore since updating, i will take a look again into B4X Help Viewer and tell you my experience.

Best regards
Herbert

Herbert32

Licensed User
Longtime User
one simple question I have additionally:

B4J together with alwaysbusy's and mashiane's work seems to be great to develop webapps/websites...

Why is b4x.com not developed based on this?

superkan

Licensed User
To everybody, please don't confuse Erel.
In the Delphi Developer community also the same discuss is raging (replace basic with object pascal) and people start to bring in python, go, whatever.

I share the same concern there and have been pivotal in re-invigorating the dev forum/groups, business of sorts. It is almost my personal mission which I do without any money.

B4X is already on its way with its impressive portfolio and companies that use it. It will take some time naturally. And it is in the perfect direction with its free model and lightweight modern IDE.

Doesn't makes sense comparing with Python, Go,. Net etc at all. Things are famous for different reasons that don't apply to all. Its no fuss about Basic language. Don't go multiplatform right now which will take the focus off(Delphi IDE being multiplatform doesn't help much) . We need beginners stuff and teaching newcomers as I say in Delphi groups too. Also there is a need for great user creations. After that a little marketing will do. So everything is proceeding towards that. I believe it is in hands of the ISVs like us more than Erel and don't forget that being a good developer doesn't always equates with good creation (UX, creativity etc). I am working on creating excellent tutorials for both Delphi and B4A (apart from android entrepreneurial work to showcase) amd I know how limited the current offerings are for both even if there is snippet browser courtsey of some excellent programmers here. Pedagogy is a different beast. Delphi lagged here for decades but B4A has great example code to start with, second to no other IDE.

So don't worry about Java, Python, MacOS, mascots, titles, Basic, B4X etc. Just let all the devs and newcomers have more fun in creating the best and share your success stories.

Last edited:

Unobtainius

Licensed User
Longtime User
I absolutely love it as is, and its evolving all the time.
Seems like a case of "If it aint broken, fix it until it is" to me

j_o_h_n

Licensed User
I have played a very tiny bit with Python and it is feels more similar to B4X than to the C syntax-like languages. I could see B4X being a really comfortable fit for people who know Python which as far as I can see is the most liked language of people going through computer science courses these days.

John Naylor

Licensed User
Longtime User
Here's a little tweak that may help at a very subtle level. Maybe this should be put under a WISH post.

BASIC gets looked down on by many people and although what we use today in B4X has moved on vastly from its roots and really is not BASIC in any way, when I update a core library I still have to go to a folder under Basic4Android.

Can this not be changed to B4X?