Android Question Keystore is lost

Scantech

Licensed User
Longtime User
I realize without the original keystore file, you can't update the app. I have a paid app with missing keystore and want my existing customers not have to repurchase it again. What alternative do I have?

Thanks in advance

JonPM

Licensed User
Longtime User
I would advise you to keep looking further for the keystore. You can try doing a system restore to a point where you know you had the keystore. Or try software like Data Rescue by Prosoft Engineering to try to recover it.

Do you have many paid users?

Upvote 0

Scantech

Licensed User
Longtime User
The keystore is in my laptop which is missing.

I have 10K users with my paid app. I was wondering if users are allowed to download a Beta with Google Play Console for free? I never tried or read about it.

Upvote 0

JonPM

Licensed User
Longtime User
You never made a single backup of it? That's the very first thing you should do when creating a keystore. I have mine on dropbox, google drive, a USB drive, and emailed to myself.

It's kinda hard to give advice without knowing the type of app. Two options that I can think of:

1. Unpublish the current app. Republish it with a new keystore and be prepared to handle many unhappy user emails (in which you'll need to ask them to buy the new version which you will issue a refund immediately).

2. Re-brand the app as a version 2.0 with many enhancements, publish 2.0 and tell users it's a different app.

Upvote 0

Scantech

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks,

I like your advice.

I had it backed up on a USB drive but it was in the carrier bag with the laptop. I even lost 5 of 6 source code apps. Luckly, the main paid app source code was at my email. I emailed a copy to myself.

Now, I have 2 USB drive hidden separately of course, Microsoft onedrive, Google drive backups for my source and keystore. I learned from my stupid mistake.

Upvote 0
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…