Wish Layout Animations

aaronk

Licensed User
Longtime User
In the next version can we have the layout animations in the layout designer changed from the default 400 to 0?

I found one of my apps kept having out of memory issues, and I found if I changed all my Activity's layout animations to 0 seems to fix the out of memory issues so far (touch wood).

I changed the image size and submitted a update to Google Play and kept getting out of memory issues a few days later.

I then change another thing in the app and submitted a update and still got out of memory issues within a few days.

I then changed the layout animations in the layout designer to 0 and so far haven't had any issues reported and it's been over a week. Changing the layout animations to 0 in the layout designer so far seems to fix the issue.

I think the layout animations should be 0 and allow the user to change this value if they would like to use it in there app.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
animating views or running out of memory while it should not. I'm unable to explain to my users why this animation setting is by default because it is, also to my eyes, a very strange decision

There is an issue here with the memory leak. It was not discovered before the last version was released.

Edit: Changing the behavior of existing programs is very problematic. In this specific case there was no (reasonable) way to set the default for new layouts (400ms) and keep the non-existent value of the old layouts. Now that the memory leak (which doesn't happen on most devices) is known we can all agree that it was a mistake.

This is the rational behind this decision.

Last edited: