Licensing and ServerManagedPolicy

jpvniekerk

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am almost ready to launch my first commercial app. I want to include some form of copy protection. The licensing library seems like the "best" way to do this.

However, there are a big chance that my app can be used for extended periods (up to a month) in areas where there are no cell reception or wifi - so the app will not be able to connect to the internet.

I've read through all the posts on this forum relating to licensing and the Android developers site for licensing, but cannot find any detail about if and how you can set the parameters for the ServerManagedPolicy.

My simple question is this: How can I make sure my app will not "die" when the user cannot connect to the internet for 30 days (or whatever time-frame I would like to choose)?

jpvniekerk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Erel,

This confirms my suspicion and fear.

Is there any other "easy" methods to make it a bit more difficult to just copy the apk to another device, or use the backup/restore method?

Upvote 0

jpvniekerk

Licensed User
Longtime User
This might be a way to circumvent the problem of long-term off-line:

If I check in lc_error for connection errors, and if there is a connection error, then call lc_Allow.

At some stage the user will be on-line again (even after three months, e.g.), at which time the check will be executed properly.

Any pitfalls with this reasoning?

Upvote 0

jpvniekerk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Alternatively - only run lc.checkaccess when the program have determined that the device is connected to the internet.

Upvote 0

jpvniekerk

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've tested this (only run lc.checkaccess when I have confirmed that the user has internet connection) on the non-published app, and it seem to be working fine.

Only problem I can think of is that I shouldn't use lc.SetVariableAndValue in the program, since I will not run lc.checkaccess every time the program starts!

But that will be OK... I'll rather have 90% protection and 100% customers happy than 96% protection and 5 % customers unhappy!

Upvote 0