Linux and politically correct terms

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
These days some articles like this have appeared that state (who knows if it's true) that for the linux system we are thinking of an inclusive terminology, for example blacklist would be racist and needs to be changed. The same for Master and Slave.

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Simple word substitution could work:

Master -> Parent
Slave -> Child

WhiteListed -> Approved
BlackListed -> Not Approved

Last edited:

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
What about blackmail? Isn't that racist *and* sexist? And Red Hat Software, no doubt a reference to American endians both big and little.

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
What about blackmail? Isn't that racist *and* sexist?

I was curious on that one - But as it turns out, blackmail doesn't really seem to be racist or sexist:

Last edited:

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The more they insist to change my language the more I use it.
Racism is stupid. I know Joe, Mario, Karl .. not black, white, any color.
But language-extremists are even worse than racists. Their range is global, not limited to one's entourage.

Blackboard? There exists Whiteboard too :)

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Blackboard? There exists Whiteboard too :)
In order not to be racist I write with chalk on the skateboard

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
In order not to be racist I write with chalk on the skateboard
A dyed chalk, I gues.. :)

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
Bye Bye Blackbird

BlackbirdFlyby.jpg

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/story-behind-famed-sr-71-blackbird-super-low-knife-edge-pass/

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
i agree with the changes. It takes nothing to change them and can change the perspective of to many people.
Master / Slave means nothing for the master, but for the slave means a lot. is that simple.

Blackbird
Bad example, Blackbird is because its black not because a negative connotation. Same goes for blackboard and whiteboard.

Blackmail, Blackmarket (Even if historicaly, seems no), those are examples of negative connotation to the black color, may be in the future they could be changed, one doesnt have to fight all the fights at once, one by one, company by company, it has to be done, but there is no hurry.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Unfortunately it is only hypocrisy.

The "street cleaner" is no longer such, he is an "ecological operator".
The "maid" is a "domestic worker".

You can change the name of things but not their meaning.

Also, will black pianos no longer be manufactured today? Smokings - tailcoats -tights will be white only? Will widows be colored?

Concepts, ideas, opinions and prejudices... these are wrong.

The violence of (many) police officers is absolute; it is not (always) racist, even if it is often greater against blacks and drug addicts and in general against minorities and the weakest.

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
The "street cleaner" is no longer such, he is an "ecological operator".
The "maid" is a "domestic worker".
This is good and has been an important change, a domestic worker means that she has the same right as any other worker, where saying Maid implies submission. having a simple change in words can make in the long run to change people minds. It may be hipocrisy on the short sight of a few years, that doesnt mean we cant simply stop doing it, even if our generation doesnt see the results.

Also, will black pianos no longer be manufactured today? Smokings - tailcoats -tights will be white only?
all this are bad examples, Black is a good color, elegant and any of those has negative connotation.

Will widows be colored?
Well yes, it is only a custom to wear black when you are sad, people will not suffer more or less because of that, most likely there are other cultures where that doesnt happen, there is nothing wrong with the chaning the color of sadness * edited

Concepts, ideas, opinions and prejudices... these are wrong.
i didnt get this phrase at all. all of those will have words attached to them, words have meaning, most likely at least one for each person in the world.

The violence of (many) police officers is absolute; it is not (always) racist, even if it is often greater against blacks and drug addicts and in general against minorities and the weakest.
Sorry, this is another topic, no body said anything about police.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry, this is another topic, no body said anything about police.
All started from here, the "Floyd case".

This is good and has been an important change, a domestic worker means that she has the same right as any other worker, where saying Maid implies submission. having a simple change in words can make in the long run to change people minds. It may be hipocrisy on the short sight of a few years, that doesnt mean we cant simply stop doing it, even if our generation doesnt see the results.
If we changed the name of "street cleaners" to "emperors", a father would still prefer that his daughter marry a rich businessman rather than an "emperor".

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
All started from here, the "Floyd case".
it was not, this magnifyed the issue, but this has been for years.

If we changed the name of "street cleaners" to "emperors", a father would still prefer that his daughter marry a rich businessman rather than an "emperor".
It is not about impressing rich businessmen's daughters, it is about dignifying people's work. And using something as ridicule as "emperor" will not help the case,

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
ut perhaps a black day for blacksmiths
i dont think so, black doesnt seem to have a negative connotation on blacksmith.

on black day of course. you could have said Bad News instead of black day. it is not that difficult.