ListView emulation issue? Alternatives? Voice recognition keyboard?

Abner

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok, so I was instructed to make an entire forum thread on my project and it's issue.

Basically, I don't really need ListView to work with the right alternative, but it seems I'm the only person in the world this code doesn't work for, and it really irks me it isn't working (the tutorial even isn't working for me). All I'm doing is making a simple application that allows the user to use their android phone to fill out a specific form, one used by environmental building inspectors. I wanted a list of some of the form fields, which I was going to allow the user to edit directly (user clicks a ListView item, it opens a new window that has the contents of the field in a text box).

The problem is every time I run an emulation, the ListView just comes up an empty colored box. Even the tutorial ListView project available on this website, like I said above. I have a gut feeling someone will download my project and say "well, this ListView code works for me!"

As a side note, Androids have a voice recognition button for filling text fields. I use it all the time for text messaging. I don't always see the option to use it. It would *GREATLY* improve my project if that button appeared for each text field, since then the actual form filling would go a lot faster. Arguably my product would be inferior to just a pad of paper without it.

Also: I haven't tried installing this on a droid phone for testing directly yet. That's about the only thing I haven't done. But really, the computer emulation of this should work.

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Here you are.
In your code you repeated the same code in the Activity_Create and Activity_Resume routines.
With this you loaded two times the layout, which is wrong.
You need also to set the ListView properties, the text is multiline but the label height is to small.

Best regards.

Attachments

• LEEDForHomes_New.zip
    12.7 KB · Views: 246

Abner

Licensed User
Longtime User
well, it's beginning to show items. Finally.

That's just sad. The tutorial ListView project doesn't set the height of the labels or items either, nor did it say on any page in that forum to do so. It also came up with a blank listview, and thus it made me think there was something wrong with the SDK and not my code. And besides that, why is the default left at zero for these listview labels/items' height?

Screenshots show working listview items but they didn't show up when I downloaded the project. Perhaps someone should fix that tutorial?