Mac / Linux users wanted

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I want to make it easier to use B4X with Macs and Linux, with the current Windows IDE.
I wasn't able to get good enough results with Crossover.
I'm testing it with Parallels and it looks promising. It is not cheap, especially as you also need to purchase a Windows license.

If you already use B4X with Parallel then please share your experience.
If you are interested in such solution then please post here as well.

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm using Linux as my main OS, RDP'ing to a Windows 10 box iff I'm about to use B4X. That works fine for me, so I'm actually content with that solution. That said, I am still interested in a Linux solution.

(To satisfy my curiousity I did try B4J on Linux using Crossover a month or two ago. I got weird graphical artifacts with shadows under dialogs mainly, I think. It wasn't very important to me so I didn't investigate further and went back to my Win box.)

Ibrahim Saleh

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think if you could find a way to ease the use of the IDE in Mac, it would help a lot of people get in the community, as learning Xcode for iOS app is a steep learning curve.

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
I wasn't able to get good enough results with Crossover.
Just interested : did you try just vanilla WINE? (since Crossover is a commercial based on WINE maybe it has some tricksy tweaks.)

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@Erel: Regarding CrossOver, when I tried it I saw on their site that they were very open to bug requests so they could improve their install instructions. Seems they've remade their site (making it awful, he muttered), so now I can't find that info. But, I imagine it's still their thinking.

My point is that this might very well be a thing you don't need to figure out yourself - if you get them involved and tell them what doesn't work they might perhaps be delighted to help.

Alexander Stolte

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If you already use B4X with Parallel then please share your experience.
If i work on my macbook, then i use Parallels Desktop, in the beginning I had problems with the resolution of the B4X IDE, I could fix it and wrote down the steps in the following thread:
But otherwise it can be worked well with.
Native on MacOS would be really good, because my macbook is a bit weak when I use Parallels.

NikB4x

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,
I'm using Linux (as primary SO) with Oracle Virtualbox but also MAC OS with Parallels and also native Windows 10 on 2 machines.
Obviously native Windows 10 is the best solution for B4X. With Parallels the speed is acceptable but the graphic rendering it's not so good (at least on my PC).
With Oracle Virtualbox the graphic rendedring it's better, but the speed it's a little bit low.
So I use for 80% Windows 10 native when I need B4j and B4a, 100% MAC OS with Parallels when I use B4i and 20% Linux with Oracle Virtualbox.
For sure, a native implementation under Linux would be a great thing because the Linux OS is my preferred OS. :)

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
I use virtualbox. B4A can only be used with b4a-bridge. but beside that i dont find many issues. i am able to compile from windows to linux with installing b4j-bridge over the later.

that being said. VB or Parallels makes a windows enviroment. while wine/crossover just translates instruccions and runs native.

NikB4x

Licensed User
Longtime User
If i work on my macbook, then i use Parallels Desktop, in the beginning I had problems with the resolution of the B4X IDE, I could fix it and wrote down the steps in the following thread:
But otherwise it can be worked well with.
Native on MacOS would be really good, because my macbook is a bit weak when I use Parallels.
Many thanks Alexander, I tried your solution and now it works much better! Now B4X works with parallels very close to windows environment.

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
A native implementation is not planned in the near future.
I think we've had this debate before and it went on for a long time. [not going to look for the threads now - but I think it was during the Open Source chain.]

My guess, again, is that a native version will be IT as an option - which is what it seems you are trying to get working through Crossover or Parallels.

Incidentally, it seems some have not recogised the that the Original question was NOT based around VM implentations.

So, it would mean that an "emulation" of Windows is what is sought. And, currently it looks like WINE / Crossover (for Linux flavours) and Parallels for MacApple flavours.

This is a very OLD thing but interesting anyway . .
The Mono Project site seems to be .NET but something I read did mention VB.

OK I KNOW its more complicated than that.. . . .

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
The Mono Project site seems to be .NET but something I read did mention VB.
The mono project and its commercial succesor Xamarin are for C#, the B4x IDE's are made in C# thats not the issue. the issue is that the IDE's are made with WPF which is not supported with neither of those 2 technologies.

The future for the B4x IDE's is either NET Framework 5 which incidentaly is a road end and a trap made by microsoft to kill projects. OR net CORE which is the technology that probably will not be killed that soon. (by microsoft standards it could be around 10 years.)

tuhatinhvn

Licensed User
Longtime User
I used to use Parallels to run b4a and b4i on macbook, but it is slow, i think i will com back if has new ide for mac, current i use virtualbox to install mac on windows to build ios app

luc-dev

Licensed User
Longtime User
Parallels seems to be good choice on Mac OS as it runs quit fast for a VM, integrates well with OSX and you don't have too much mroblems to deal with. It is not the cheapest but one of the easiest to use and you have to consider the time it saves you or your company...