Android Tutorial Making money with apps

Hello everyone,

I'm Yang from sellAring ad network, very happy to be here at Basic4Android.
SellAring is a mobile advertising network that delivers innovative ad solutions to the market. We enable app developers to monetize their apps through our advertising units which include both display ads and ring back ads.

Setup is very easy, we provide an SDK for you to embed in your app. You can find out more on our website: SellAring.com
We're pleased to be here and I'd like to thank to the management of Basic4Android for enabling it. To celebrate, we are offering a special offer to all members of Basic4Android.

Every app developer who joins SellAring before August 15 2012 will get 70% revenue share for a full year.

(Our regular split is 60%-40% in favor of the app developer, so if you sign up now you have a chance to earn an additional 10% for a full year!)

After you sign up and grab the SDK, please reply to this thread to let me know, or email me [email protected]. I'll take care of the rest.

If you have any questions or would like more info, I'll be glad to help.

Last edited:

SellAringSupport

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello MiniDemonic,

Nice to meet you and welcome aboard!

I'll be sure to forward the info and grant you with the updated rev share.

Let me know if there's anything I can help with.

SellAringSupport

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi walterf25,

Thanks for stopping by. There's no need to create a wrapper. All you have to do is initialize the SDK and it will do all the work.
Did you already register under the email you posted? I'm searching for it in our database...:)

admac231

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just to clarify, your ads work by taking over the ringing tone when making a phonecall? Regardless of whether the phonecall was initiated by the app that hosts the ads or not?

meow

Hello I have yet to buy B4A but may do it this week.:sign0060: I will put up ad in Amazon app store to start with (FREE for a year). Will your ad work with Amazon app store or will hey reject the app? Has any one used your ad in Amazon app store? thanks

SellAringSupport

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just to clarify, your ads work by taking over the ringing tone when making a phonecall? Regardless of whether the phonecall was initiated by the app that hosts the ads or not?

Hi admac231,

We deliver several monetization solutions to the market. The first one is the post-call display ads. These are full screen ads that appear after a phone call is completed. These ads are very visual and produce a high conversion rate. You can read more here: SellAring's Mobile Ad Solution- The Post Call Screen | "Talking Telephone Numbers"

We also deliver ring back audio ads which is what you refer to. This ads are played during the ring back tone time (it's not the same as ring tone. Ring-back tone is the ringing a person hears while waiting for a phone call to be answered).
The phone call may not be initiated by the app. However, we take every measurement to assure all parties win. Since your app remains "banner free", people who download your it enjoy a good user experience. We limit the number of ads played to each user- to a max of two ads per day.
Additionally, we have a quick opt-out method available anytime.

SellAringSupport

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello I have yet to buy B4A but may do it this week.:sign0060: I will put up ad in Amazon app store to start with (FREE for a year). Will your ad work with Amazon app store or will hey reject the app? Has any one used your ad in Amazon app store? thanks

Hi Meow,
Glad to hear you're joining.
We've never had any trouble with Amazon app store:) There are SellAring enabled apps in many different app stores.

admac231

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi admac231,

We deliver several monetization solutions to the market. The first one is the post-call display ads. These are full screen ads that appear after a phone call is completed. These ads are very visual and produce a high conversion rate. You can read more here: SellAring's Mobile Ad Solution- The Post Call Screen | "Talking Telephone Numbers"

We also deliver ring back audio ads which is what you refer to. This ads are played during the ring back tone time (it's not the same as ring tone. Ring-back tone is the ringing a person hears while waiting for a phone call to be answered).
The phone call may not be initiated by the app. However, we take every measurement to assure all parties win. Since your app remains "banner free", people who download your it enjoy a good user experience. We limit the number of ads played to each user- to a max of two ads per day.
Additionally, we have a quick opt-out method available anytime.

Sorry I meant the ringing tone whilst making a phone call. I should have clarified that a bit.

Have you seen the effect serving Airpush notification ads has on ratings, retention rates and overall downloads? I can't see this method fairing well.

Sorry to be so negative. Just trying to see this from a users point of view.

ssg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry I meant the ringing tone whilst making a phone call. I should have clarified that a bit.

Have you seen the effect serving Airpush notification ads has on ratings, retention rates and overall downloads? I can't see this method fairing well.

LOL! You should read what I went through here (back in Feb 2012):

SellARing, Sell your Soul, and the Press

The above is the reason I did not release the wrapper library for this.

It is a good concept, very very tough to live with though.

Not wanting to be negative either, just thought I'd share what I know about this. Also googling sellaring returns many negative search results.

Well, there is the trade-off. High risk, high payout. The $$ might be worth the trouble? And hey, the worst thing is you get a chance to be in the papers :D

Good luck!

PS - sellaring has improved quite a bit since I wrote that article though. Good that they made some improvements over time!

SellAringSupport

Licensed User
Longtime User

Hey, thanks for your reply.
Opinions really vary on this topic. We have received feedback from users who appreciate our service precisely for the reason that they can interact with apps without interference.
Advertisements are a form of payment. They enable developers to get paid for their work while enabling the users to download the app free of charge. In that respect, since we take care to restrict the number of ads to a very small number (as mentioned above, only two per day), the user is not exposed to too much advertising. On the other hand, the few ads they do see, are able to generate more revenue to app developers, through higher conversion rates.
We make constant updates and changes to our advertising solutions to match with an improved user experience.

SellAringSupport

Licensed User
Longtime User
LOL! You should read what I went through here (back in Feb 2012):

SellARing, Sell your Soul, and the Press

It is a good concept, very very tough to live with though.

Not wanting to be negative either, just thought I'd share what I know about this. Also googling sellaring returns many negative search results.

PS - sellaring has improved quite a bit since I wrote that article though. Good that they made some improvements over time!

Hi ssg,
Sorry to hear of your experience. We offer additional advertising solutions you may find more suitable for your app, would like to tell you about. Let me know if you'd like more info.

The feedback you found on Google was a result of a discouraging post written about us on a blog. As is sometimes the case, the person who wrote it unfortunately did not check any facts before publishing the information.
Please also see a few points we posted to help clear the air:
SellAring's Mobile Ad Network- Service Explained | "Talking Telephone Numbers"

PaulR

Licensed User
Longtime User
Could I clarify something.....

From "SellAring’s Service Explained- in Response to Questions and Feedback"....
4. We do not slow down the connection time or cause any delay in the call set up, ever.

From the General section of your FAQs....
Q. Can the caller dismiss the audio ad during its play?
A. No, your ad always plays in full.

These two seem to be in conflict. The first statement implies that if I phone someone and they answer, as they often do, within a couple of seconds then I will be able to speak to them. Is the result of this situation the caller on the other side waiting for 8 seconds before speaking to me (or waiting for less than 8 seconds and hanging up)?

SellAringSupport

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the question, Paul.
There is no conflict. On average, it takes about 20 seconds before a call is answered. Our ads are up to 10 seconds long (this is max, most ads are 5-8 seconds long). There is no need for us to cause any delay in the call setup. The caller does not need to wait longer than the call connection time.

MiniDemonic

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have one question.
If a user got 3 apps installed and all 3 of these got SellAring enabled, but those 3 apps are made by different developers, how do the ads determine who get's the revenue?

SellAringSupport

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi MiniDemonic,

In such instances, we divide the revenue equally between all developers.
We play a max of 2 ads per day to each user, so the difference cannot be large.

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi walterf25,

Thanks for stopping by. There's no need to create a wrapper. All you have to do is initialize the SDK and it will do all the work.

Did you check your SDK with B4A? We can't use your SDK directly, we need a wrapper.