Android Tutorial Material Design 1 - Basics

yiankos1

Licensed User
Longtime User
Library works fine! I uploaded Selfie Light app and shadows works great. Here on another project, nor actionbar nor panel has shadow even if i set it:
B4X:
Private AC As AppCompat
AC.SetElevation(pnlTest,4dip)
Do you know why it does not show shadow?

corwin42

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
SetElevation only works for Android 5.0 or above (works in older versions, too but without shadow effect). The screenshot you have posted does not look like Android 5.x

corwin42

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you for the answer. I want to inform you that, my app tested on samsung galaxy s5 running lollipop. As you can see at screenshot, it is lollipop, see dark orange bar at top.
Ok, then without a sample project which shows this problem I can't guess whats the problem is.

joseIsaac123

Licensed User
Disculpen quisiera saber como puedo registrarme como alguien que ya tiene licencia, ya que e comprado hace como 4 dias el software b4a version 5.80 hay algun tutorial para ver como hacerlo? o mando algunas capturas donde e realizado la compra?

si alguien me puede responder le agradeceria ya que ocupo saber si alguien me puede ayudar con lo del material design esque ya logre poner la primera actividad con este material y un menu pero no logro hacerlo para una segunda actividas (pantalla)

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You should write ENGLISH here please.
Alternatively you can create a thread in the spanish forum and ask there
Anyway: It is better to create a new Thread in the Questionsforum giving more details. Your code, the error you get.

I´m just guessing as i dont speak spanish so i did not understand what you wrote.

RSL

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm starting now with material design and i having some problems.
This is the error when in try to compile 'AppCompactSearch' example:
B4X:
B4A version: 5.80
Parsing code.    (0.00s)
Compiling code.    (0.14s)
Compiling layouts code.    (0.01s)
Generating R file.    (2.99s)
Compiling debugger engine code.    (3.03s)
Compiling generated Java code.    Error
javac 1.8.0_91
javac: invalid flag: gen\de\amberhome\objects\appcompat
Usage: javac <options> <source files>
use -help for a list of possible options

Dave O

Licensed User
Longtime User
Great stuff, I just created my first Android 5+ app and was wondering how to do color-theme stuff. Many thanks for this tutorial.

Related: Is there a property for setting the text in system dialogs (like MsgBox) when they're invoked from my app?

(My app now uses red elements by applying the color properties you described above, but if I open a MsgBox2, the button text is blue. Possible to have it match my color scheme, or does Android control that at a global level?)

Thanks!

Last edited:

hsteph

Licensed User
Greetings all, ...
Very new to this. Went trough the tutorial and I have been successful generating my first app.

Now exploring the Material Design sample and I get this message during compilation:
Cannot find: C:\Program Files (x86)\Anywhere Software\Basic4android\libraries\android-support-v4.jar

I'm using the latest Android Studio version
... AppData\Local\Android\sdk\platforms\android-25\android.jar

stdActionBar has been added here and path has been configured
C:\Program Files (x86)\Anywhere Software\Basic4android\AddLib

The Extra Android Support Repository rev 41 is installed, ...

XML manifest shows:
<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="11" android:targetSdkVersion="21"/>

Something is missing for sure as I get this "android-support-v4.jar" error message, ...

Input welcome

Thanks in advance
Stéphane

ZenWhisk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Does the file android-support-v4.jar exist in the libraries folder?
best regards

corwin42

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

Which B4A version do you use?
Are you using any additional libraries?

The latest B4A versions should map from the android-support-v4.jar to the Maven repository so the .jar file should not be needed anymore.

hsteph

Licensed User
Hi ZenWhick, I have no "android-support*.jar" files installed on my computer
Hi corwin42, I use B4A v6.5
The only additional library contains stdActionBar and it is stored here C:\Program Files (x86)\Anywhere Software\Basic4android\AddLib

hsteph

Licensed User
Well, based on previous posts, I have tried to :
remove <dependsOn>android-support-v4</dependsOn> from stdActionbar.xml : => It works
replace with "com.android.support:support-v4" : => It works

So, what is the best practice? remove the line (less is more or with the 'com.android.support:support-v4' syntax in the xml file ?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…