iOS Question messuring code execution times

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

is there an easy way to messure code execution time?

I have the impression that drawBitmap is a lot slower on IOS than on my cheap android phone.

in B4A/Android level creation was instant, in B4i/IOS it takes 2 seconds while the phone is more powerfull?

This is when using build release app so it's not a slowdown of debugger connections

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@Erel :

It seems your drawBitmap sub is causing the slowdown.

I guess it's copying the full bitmap (640x1152px tileset) each time and then trims it to what is supposed to be left.

Are there other ways to copy a bitmap source rectangle to another bitmap?
(only copying the "selected" region)

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I fixed most issues but 3 of them are incorrect.
(a sub is not called but it is from in another module, and 2 for a variable that's not set but it is during the init of the class)

It is still slower than on your (faster) phone tho.

but 10ms * 12 items = 1.2s while it would be instant with a normal regional bitmap copy.

it can probably be bypassed by

using seperate images for each tile instead of 1 big tilesheet where bitmap data gets copied from

or

using a get ready or level completed screen while the level gets build in the background

so more things to keep in mind when doing games :)

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
right, I was thinking 10 hundreds of a second.

why am I getting this 2 seconds delay then? it's an iPhone 4s

Upvote 0

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You can't reliably measure speed in debug, it could fluctuate wildly. What is the speed in Release mode, that's the important one.

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
can't read out the log like in b4a, but it take 1.5-2 seconds to build the level.

will check with an extra label, brb

Upvote 0