Microsoft is back!

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I kept earing "Therabytes"... who's Thera?
Thera (THEE-ruh)

Volcanic Aegean island which erupted disastrously during the time of the Minoan civilization of Crete. Once the volcano had been purged of its molten core, the hollow cone collapsed. The sea rushed in, rebounded when it hit bottom and then recoiled in a tidal wave that impacted the coastal settlements of Crete. This may account for the legend of Atlantis sinking beneath the sea.

Source: http://www.mythweb.com/encyc/entries/thera.html

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I th
Thera (THEE-ruh)

Volcanic Aegean island which erupted disastrously during the time of the Minoan civilization of Crete. Once the volcano had been purged of its molten core, the hollow cone collapsed. The sea rushed in, rebounded when it hit bottom and then recoiled in a tidal wave that impacted the coastal settlements of Crete. This may account for the legend of Atlantis sinking beneath the sea.

Source: http://www.mythweb.com/encyc/entries/thera.html
I thought it was a girl... and if she bites....I want nothing to do with her

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Alright, back on topic... :)

I Just Tried Microsoft's Remarkable Holographic Headset — Here's What It's Like
I just had a 40-minute in-person demonstration of HoloLens, Microsoft's new computer headset, and I'm convinced that personal computing is on the verge of a major change.

In 10 years or so, people will be using head-mounted displays that project 3D images that you can interact with in actual space.

It's going to be a huge leap over the flat-screen computing that we've all become used to over the last 30 years. It's so much obviously better, once people try it, there will be no going back.

Full Business Insider article: http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-hololens-hands-on-2015-1

microsoft%20hololens%20mixedworld%20rgb.png

I'm sold!!!

Inman

Licensed User
Longtime User
You need to contain your excitement. Microsoft has a history of demoing stuff that are not ready for prime time and then cancelling them later when they realise it is not possible to do it perfectly. When Windows Vista was announced for the first time, they had a demo video that showed many exciting stuff including the new file system WinFS. Years later when Vista was finally released, most of the stuff from the video were missing, including WinFS which is still not available as of today.

There is also Microsoft Kin phone which got cancelled on the verge of release. Even for Kinect, Microsoft demoed stuff like holding a paper near the Kinect camera, which was supposed to transfer the paper and its contents to the character on screen. Four years later that still hasn't happened.

So don't fall for Microsoft's "Powerpoint" skills :) Wait for the real tech to ship.

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
This remind me of a conversation I had with my Dad in the late 90s, I'd just started using AOL for chatting, reading tech news and downloading game demos, it was really impressive and I was completely sold on the idea of the internet straight away. My Dad, who was into computers, just couldn't see the point of it:

Dad:"If I want to check TV listings I just use the radio times, why would I want to use email?"

2 years later:

Dad:"I can't believe I ever said the internet was rubbish and a passing fad!"

Same with smart phones, people at the time said they'd not want to type on a touch screen and the iphone would fail:
http://gizmodo.com/276116/apple-iphone-review
the early reviews had a lot of reservations about some features, but look what happened there.

Personally I'm just excited about my laptop and desktop both getting a free windows 10 upgrade. I'll wait to see the general verdict first though.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Imagine a near future, a couple of years, I suppose.

I'll access the site and I may dictate my post in Italian, to be published in English.

That will be a bad day: the average of the posts that I write every day is already very high, although I know little English. Since that day, this average will triple and Erel will be forced to ban me.

And you can celebrate. :D

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Imagine a near future, a couple of years, I suppose.

I'll access the site and I may dictate my post in Italian, to be published in English.

That will be a bad day: the average of the posts that I write every day is already very high, although I know little English. Since that day, this average will triple and Erel will be forced to ban me.

And you can celebrate. :D
Untitled.png

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I know, thanks, I love and need Google Translate ;)

P.S

Ops, I knew "listen", the output, not the input!

I haven't that icon !!!!!!!!!!!

upload_2015-1-22_12-1-28.png

:(:(:(:(:(

Almost certainly this is because I do not have the speech recognizer in Windows!

Last edited:

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Those of you guys who know how to search online, I am trying to find an article published either on PC Magazine, or BYTES, in 1989 or 1990.
On that article, the tech reporter said there will be no way and it's impossible that a microprocessor will ever have a speed faster than 100 MHz.
and our scientist went on saying, because at that speed transistors will heat up and eventually burn!!
today's computers are running with thousands of MHz without any sign of overheat, let alone burning.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Back on topic...
Holographic computing will only hit the main stream when there will be no need for a solid displaying interface, like GGlass or M$ pseudo holothing.
Projecting in "thin air" will be the only way to win the common user...
This way, everyone will be able to "look at the same screen" without having to use an additional set of hardware interface.
Imagine a family of 4 watching a movie... with the pseudo holothing, no real "familly quality time" is being spent, while with a holo projection system, even surprise guest can share the same "screen".

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Just wait a moment: I have many PC Magazine and some BYTES (probably from 1985)
Great, thanks Lica, and I cross my fingers waiting.

I can say It is guaranteed it was between 1989 and 1991.. and I am sure the writer has been praying day and night
to his God, so that no one will ever find that article.. until now his God is listening.
I hope you find it and post a scanned picture of the page.. I am sure it will go viral on social media.

IanMc

Licensed User
Longtime User
I like it!

Isn't it called 'enhanced reality' ?

and aren't computers supposed to make our lives easier?

I agree with the person who said that finally the future is beginning to look like the future should look like... although I may have paraphrased that a bit :)

just a few years ago that headset would have weighed 1.5 tonns and required a team of lab-coated techs fuzzing around with liquid nitrogen.

I say dispense with the lab coats!

IanMc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Windows 10?

oh darn, did I forget to set the alarm clock again...

what happened to Windows 9?