B4J Question MiniSearchView TextField click unreachable when MiniSearchView fields overlap

cjpryor

Licensed User
I would like to collapse the MiniSearchView fields to use up less space on the page. Unfortunately, this can result in either 1) the click event of the TextField not accessible or 2) the CLV fields not moving to the front so they are visible over the TextField.

I thought I could CLV.GetBase.BringToFront and CLV.GetBase.SendToBack to manage this overlap but I can't seem to make them work? Any suggestions?

Sample project attached.

Thanks!

Attachments

• MiniSearchView_overlap_CLT__bug.zip
    448.2 KB · Views: 174

cjpryor

Licensed User
Thank you. I am at work today so I will export properly this evening. I actually explained what I did in my class code in a parallel post - sorry, I should have followed good programming practice in my posts and eliminated dependencies before posting.

:)

Clay

Upvote 0

cjpryor

Licensed User
Erel,

Thanks for such a great product and for taking time to help us. Per your request, I used the File - Export as Zip feature to export the attached zip file.

To simplify matters, I started with the default B4J implementation in the code you provided in your MiniSearchView AutoComplete field post (https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/b4x-xui-minisearchview-autocomplete-field.93564/). I then simply rearranged the 1.bjl layout to illustrate the issues.

In my original post I included some attempted fixes in the code. However, they did not work and I see that they only confuse the matter. I did not include any of my attempts to resolve the issues in this export.

This is all I did:
  1. Added a TextField above the MiniSearch custom views in the 1.bjl layout to display some random text (In my application this will be populated with real data).
  2. Reduced the height of the two MiniSearch custom views
  3. Moved the two MiniSearch custom views closer to each other to save on screen space. In my real application these will be many more combo boxes (with labels to the left of each box) for data selection and for capturing new values not yet in the list.
Here is a list of the issues I am encountering:
  1. In order for the fields to show up properly in the running form, I have to overlap them in the design view. (I did not mention this in my earlier post because I obviously figured out a work around)
  2. When you run it, the overlapped text fields are not clickable. In my real application, all but the very bottom MiniSearch custom view is not clickable. In this case, after you click out of the first field you cannot click back into it. I believe that is because the second MiniSearch custom view is overlapping the first blocking the first from seeing a click event.
  3. Also, the other problems I described in my other post (I could not find the other post so I will describe them here):
    1. When you type in the TextField, the CLV will display as expected. However, if you hit tab without selecting a value from the CLV the CLV list will continue to be displayed.
    2. When you continue typing in the TextField after CLV matches are no longer visible, the CLV list will disappear but the blank CLV field itself will still cover the other field.
    3. This is important because I want people to be able to type values that are not in the CLV so I can programmatically add new values to the list based on what they type.
I can include screen captures of the problems listed above if that will help.

Thanks again.

Clay

Attachments

• MiniSearchView.zip
    11.3 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User