Other Missing features

barx

Licensed User
Longtime User
I may be wrong here as I haven't exactly kept 100% up to date over the last 12 months. But as Android powers on with new versions I feel that b4a updates concentrate on the major stuff and many of the minor features or the fancy stuff is missing from the official Android APIs (this is an observation, not a criticism). After starting working on a lib again and having a little time to think whilst on vacation, I thought we should have a list (this thread) where community members can pick out features from official APIs that they feel are missing and would be handy. So discuss, has this been talked about before, what do you think is missing?

barx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Not convinced that this is in the right place mind. If not then please move to a more appropriate place. Cheers.

Upvote 0

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Google Play Game Services. I think it is a must for any game developer...
Google Play services are not part of the Android API.
I only say this because the Google Play API (Games/ChromeCast etc etc) change a lot more often than the Android API and may be subject to google's diiscretion.
Just commenting to make the distinction.

Upvote 0

ivan.tellez

Licensed User
Longtime User
A better implementation of the widgets. Currently the implementation in B4A its kind of limited. Its not ok that B4A is using AbsoluteLayout A class deprecated on API 3 (Yeap, 3, Not a Typo)

This is a key feature of the Android OS itself, and to many apps, but its not well exposed in B4A.

To mention somo features:

- Resizable layout
- Different instances of the same widget. All with their own settings.
- Widget configuration screen.
- Selectable layout from widget configuration screen

Upvote 0

tpakis

Licensed User
Longtime User
I only say this because the Google Play API (Games/ChromeCast etc etc) change a lot more often than the Android API and may be subject to google's diiscretion.

Google play game services is a must and it's an issue that should be addressed soon.

Upvote 0

Jaames

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, but it is so easy to access with eclipse , and almost all newest games use it, and in the other hand we don't have it in the b4a, there should be a tool or something to make such a wrapper ease for people who do not know java and android project structure...
For example, we need a ton of libraries to mimic the full access to android action bar, it should be easier...
Idk, maybe it is impossible, but those are just suggestions, it is ease me to say, I do not know java and stuff...

Upvote 0

ivan.tellez

Licensed User
Longtime User
It will be also interesting to use the android.view.inputmethod.InputMethod class to have an easy way to create custom IME apps

Upvote 0

bluedude

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

Indeed there is a lot of exciting stuff missing from B4A which makes it hard to create professional grade apps. with the look and feel of the latest Android versions. With the upcoming Android L the lack of support for new features will probably increase.

Google's strategy is lots of updates on Google Play services (the stuff they update in the background) so supporting some of the features there would help.

For me one really important issue is UI elements, we need to support at least all new UI elements if new releases are done by Google. To comply with design guidelines this is needed. Right now I have hand picked a whole set of custom libraries to get this done but boy that took me a while to let them work together :)

B4A is great but it could be much greater if we have two things:

- bunch of great library developers;
- new feature support within 2-3 months after a new Android release.

Cheers.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
There were more than 40 new libraries or updates in the last month. I think that this is a huge number. Especially when all these libraries are available for free.

Google's strategy is lots of updates on Google Play services (the stuff they update in the background) so supporting some of the features there would help.
There are many features of Google Play services that are already supported.

Be specific, for example post which features of the Action Bar you are missing.

As I see it a general thread of missing features will not be very useful especially when some people are posting general and mostly incorrect statements.

Upvote 0

barx

Licensed User
Longtime User
There were more than 40 new libraries or updates in the last month. I think that this is a huge number. Especially when all these libraries are available for free.

There are many features of Google Play services that are already supported.

Be specific, for example post which features of the Action Bar you are missing.

As I see it a general thread of missing features will not be very useful especially when some people are posting general and mostly incorrect statements.
I too was unsure of its success but I wanted to put it out there at the same time as thinking out loud...

Upvote 0

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Indeed there is a lot of exciting stuff missing from B4A which makes it hard to create professional grade apps.

For me, a professional-grade code is stable, thoroughly tested with a great number of devices in many different situations, and mostly bug-free. That excludes unfortunately 90% of the new views growing like mushrooms on Github and most libraries published in the B4A forum (my own libs included). They are made by people who don't have (or take) the time to test them carefully or enough devices to ensure that the lib works fine on most of them. Some of these Java libs, that you can try with apps like "Libraries for developpers", are so unstable or so badly written that I couldn't imagine using them without rewriting them. So, for me, "professional" is not the word that I would use to describe all this "exciting stuff" of the Java world, and wrapping it does not imply that you'll get quality components. Moreover Google changes the rules regularly so you can never be sure that this code will work fine with any new Android version.
I don't know exactly why the views of B4A are minimalist compared to what the Java world can offer but I can understand such a choice. B4A provides a set of views that should work on all devices, in all situations. It's not impressive, not fancy, but it's built on a basis that Google should not change in the future. It is a really professional approach. But, on the other hand, it's also a big problem as the libraries that all modern developpers want in their app are created by users, and these users do not share their source code. So you have no guarantee that the developper (including me) will still be there in a few months to fix a bug ruining your app, and you cannot fix it yourself. You face a dilemna that does not really exists for Java developpers (a library for them is usually a source code, not a compiled jar, and they have a direct access to the Android API): using a library to get improved or new views and taking the risk that it does not work as expected sooner or later, or using only the basic views of B4A and having to write a lot of code to replicate some Java views (if possible). So, for me, B4A cannot be used professionally without writing your own code. You cannot rely mostly on the work done by other users, but it's only my opinion of course.
And if you want to replicate the look & feel of some apps, note that many of them use private code, Google included (for example, Google did not release all views used in Google Now and Google Plus).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
So, for me, B4A cannot be used professionally without writing your own code. You cannot rely mostly on the work done by other users, but it's only my opinion of course.
I have to say sometimes you have to rely on the work of others (like we rely on the work of Erel).
But I want to add that (one of the many reasons) the quality of library code isnt that great (except for a few developers) mainly because they are free. If people paid even a little many developers would pay more attention to commenting/documenting/refactoring.

Upvote 0

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have to say sometimes you have to rely on the work of others (like we rely on the work of Erel).
But I want to add that (one of the many reasons) the quality of library code isnt that great (except for a few developers) mainly because they are free. If people paid even a little many developers would pay more attention to commenting/documenting/refactoring.
I agree that we all rely on the work of others. When I run with putty a Java project that uses postgreSQL on a server hosting OpenSSL and Apache, I trust thousands of lines of code that I will probably never check. The great advantage of all of this and the reason why it is used is the availability of the source code. If I am not satisfied by the existing code, I can improve its quality, its security or its reliability. If I have a doubt, I can control if there's a security flaw like a backdoor. It's free but really usable by professionals (even by a government, for which I work) and fully documented. On the contrary, a freeware, despite it is free, will have no interest (none is allowed where I work) because you cannot read its source code and you have no idea of its continuity (when the motivation is not money, human find that strange :)). Most developers made the choice in this forum to keep their code secret. So noone can contribute to it, or fix it when it is broken by a new Android version. Would this code be better by paying the developer or by releasing the source code? You open an interesting debate.

Upvote 0

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Would this code be better by paying the developer or by releasing the source code? You open an interesting debate.
To answer this question, the code will definitely be better by posting the source code BUT only if somebody bothers to read it and give you feedback. I am a believer in community driven source code, but it has not worked on this forum. Personally, I have learnt and improved my code by looking at the better coders on this forum (Erel/klaus/NJDude/warwound/Informatix). And also, I have always received the source of a library I have asked any developer here for :) .
But if a developer is already writing excellent code, and the community can not better it, then paying him is the answer.

Upvote 0

Mark Read

Licensed User
Longtime User
I would like to add my two pennies worth here, as this looks like an interesting discussion. I stumbled upon B4A by accident and find it great. I am not a professional programmer and write apps mostly for my friends and family. These apps are generally relatively simple and do a specific task. I do not normally need the loaded features of a professional app. Having the chance to write an app for myself really boosts the confidence. Its also a great day when I can help a newbie with my humble knowledge. I am totally dependent on people like Klaus, Erel, thedesolatesoul and all the other experts. Without them, I would have given up long ago. The community has a lot of newcomers who are just leaning to cut their teeth and we all appreciate the libraries and what they cost in terms of time (thanks to all). I have trouble enough keeping up with Erel and all his updates! Games and other things are at present out of my league.

Deep bow to all Experts. Please keep up the good work. We need you.

Upvote 0