Android Question Multi-user development

sivakrith

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

Having tested and developed a few mini projects in B4X, we want to expand our development team, ie. everyone could end up developing the same project from different computers. A small test of opening the same project from another machine didn't go well. Seems B4A IDE is not designed that way. Would like to have your expert opinion about how to proceed with this. Would like to have your expert advice in this regard.

Happiness Always
BKR Sivaprakash

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Do you really need git-server when using git? I use Mercurial and I have no problem having a central repo on a local server in the office. I imagine the same would be true for git? So just put a repo on a share on a server, and all devs in the lan clone that and push/pull to/from it?

Upvote 0

Tecuma

Licensed User
Hello Community,

I am preparing a new setup for my B4X activities. I want to use git so I am following this thread.

My setup
- B4X IDEs in a Windows 10 VM / Virtualbox on a Debian testing host
- gitlab on a FreeBSD server
- git client (CLI: cygwin, GUI: t.b.d)

Information for several git clients for several platforms can be found e.g. here.
Information about setting up a gitlab server can be found here.
There are a lot of information available in the internet via the search engine of your choice. You have to be aware to invest some time for learning.

Regards

--Christian

Upvote 0

Andrew (Digitwell)

Licensed User
Longtime User
Do you really need git-server when using git? I use Mercurial and I have no problem having a central repo on a local server in the office. I imagine the same would be true for git? So just put a repo on a share on a server, and all devs in the lan clone that and push/pull to/from it?
I have a similar setup to you, and I also have remote repos as well on my own remote server. I push to both. The remote being my offsite, non permanantly connected, backup which will (hopefully) survive a ransomware attack.

Upvote 0

Tecuma

Licensed User
I have a similar setup to you, and I also have remote repos as well on my own remote server. I push to both. The remote being my offsite, non permanantly connected, backup which will (hopefully) survive a ransomware attack.
The reported issues about a ransomware attack in the environment from sfsameer made me thinking about an environment which provide a bit security. I am not sure but I guess the effort for security in a pure Windows based environment is a bit higher.

I like to use Open Source as much as I can but it should be reasonable from the efforts point of view. So I come to the setup I described above.

Also there will be no direct mount of my Windows system to my data storage anymore. The additional data beside source code I need will be transfered via rsync.

Upvote 0

sivakrith

Licensed User
Longtime User
If my understanding is right, then you don't need a git server, just push/pull to/from a folder in another computer (server). Is that right?

Upvote 0

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If my understanding is right, then you don't need a git server, just push/pull to/from a folder in another computer (server). Is that right?
Yes, that is my understanding. In any case, it should be fairly simple to test if you have git installed and a server available. If you know what you're doing, setting up the repo on the remote machine and cloning to your own workstation is so basic that it should take less than two minutes. For an experienced computer user that is an absolute beginner of git that would need to search instructions online, I'd guess it'd take an hour tops?

Upvote 0