Android Question Multiple Activities Issue

Tom Skotnicki

Licensed User
Longtime User
Firstly, I am an absolute newbie creating my first useful app.

I have two activities, one main and another that gathers some input, updates a process variable and subsequently returns to main. I am using startactivity to switch between the two. The main activity has two edittext objects, when starting main, the first edittext (txtitem) gets the focus and the keyboard appears in all caps due to txtitem.InputType = Bit.OR(txtitem.INPUT_TYPE_TEXT, 4096).

The edittext objects and the keyboard work correctly until I switch activities. After switching to activity 2 and returning to the main activity, the txtitem appears to have focus (blinking cursor within) but the keyboard shown is the standard keyboard NOT set to uppercase and the no text can be entered into txtitem as if it were disabled or locked. Sometimes the keyboard fails to appear at all and sometimes this same behavior happens when switching to the second activity. I have tried txtitem.requestfocus statement in the activity resume sub to no avail.

I am not using the IME object, some posts I have read indicate I am better off allowing the OS to manage the keyboard. However, I have tried to use the IME but is does not seem to alleviate the issue.

Thanks for any help!

Tom Skotnicki

Licensed User
Longtime User
My app is heavily dependent on external data, I will try to rebuild it using data packaged with the app and then post it as you suggest.

Thanks, Tom Skotnicki

Upvote 0