My next notebook - any advice welcomed

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,
as some of you may know I need to buy a new notebook. Among the several candidates I found so far I'd like your opinion about the HP Notebook 15-ay018nl .
It looks reasonably priced and it sports most of the characteristics I was looking for.

Anyway, I'll gladly accept any advice on any other manufacturer/model as well as any comment about the above mentioned candidate.

I set my approximate expense at about 700/800 euros. An SSD is preferred to a mechanical drive, the more RAM the better and FullHD is not a priority.

TIA

udg

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
overhere (Belgium) laptops that come with SSD are still way overpriced.

it's cheaper to buy the same model with a regular HD and replace it with something like Crucial 250Gb SSD that costs like 80 euros.

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Lenovo fullstop.

Many people don't realise that Lenovo is basically IBM technology sold to Chinese company.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The specs look very good however the screen resolution (1366 x 768) is a bit small for development.

i have a lcd connected to my notebook. i think you must have at least 2 lcd when you use b4x. 1 i put the ide and in the second i put the designer

actually i have 3 lcds + notebook + mac mini + rp2 on my desk.

EDIT: btw it is not 1366 x 768 according to the specs it is 1920 x 1080 ;)

Last edited:

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think that the link you posted is a different model.
Indeed, Ilan referred to an i7 CPU complete with a lot of high-end characteristics while you referred to the same model I cited in post 1.
Difference in price is about 300euros.
Do you think that using an external monitor could alleviate the 1366x768 display res point?
Another question: would you advice against installing Ubuntu and then having W10 in a VM even if that should break a 1 year warranty?

BTW, thanks to all for your comments.

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
That should not be a problem
In fact, I'm sure Erel is already "multi-language" ... :)

MikeH

Licensed User
Longtime User
How about a used MacBook? I got a 2013 MacBook Pro 15" (2880 x 1800!), 2.7ghz i7, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd for about the same as your budget.
I use Vbox to run Windows and B4X. I can, if I wish, add three more monitors - two with display port and one with hdmi.

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Filippo,

my first tought when the NB died was exactly that. Buy a 200eur desktop and swap in my HD to be up ready in no time. Unfortunately it seems the Windows doesn't like to boot up in a machine built on components different from what it was installed on first run. After 35 years I would have expected Microsoft to be able to automatically adapt the OS to the guest machine. After all they force us to load gigabytes of drivers!

udg

Last edited:

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
How about a used MacBook? I got a 2013 MacBook Pro 15" (2880 x 1800!), 2.7ghz i7, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd for about the same as your budget.
I use Vbox to run Windows and B4X. I can, if I wish, add three more monitors - two with display port and one with hdmi.

Is it in good condition?

D

Deleted member 103

Hi Filippo,

my first tought when the NB died was exactly that. Buy a 200eur desktop and swap in my HD to be up ready in no time. Unfortunately it seems the Windows doesn't like to boot up in a machine biult on items different from what it was installed on first run. After 35 years I would have expected Microsoft to be able to automatically adapt the OS to the guest machine. After all they force us to load gigabytes of drivers!

udg
This is not a problem.
Mach of the old HD with "sysprep.exe" a new system and then you build the HD in the new PC and booting.

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
otherwise I see '"na mazza"
I am sure you're happy to not be able to see "na mazza"..eheh

Sorry guys, this is a joke that works in Italian/dialect only.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
A programmer should be accurate (like me, for example :p) so I have to correct you, @udg, sorry.
otherwise I see '"na mazza" (tr.: nothing) :)

If I set resolution to the max, 1600 x 900, I see "'na mazza", not, as we say in italian: "non vedo una mazza".
So I prefer to avoid the max to avoid to see "na mazza" (I could accept Valeria Mazza only :D)

Reactions: udg

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Filippo,

I had a look a this MS doc. So to swap my old HD in a new low-cost desktop, I have just to "sysprepare /generalize"?
When first booted on the new machine it will collect all the needed drivers (if available) and then boot with my W7 as it was before the m/b crash?
If yes, this could be an easy way to have back my old configuration PLUS a new notebook (it was time to buy it anyway..).

@MikeH : never thought about a MAC, even if my CEO uses it like you, since it's a world I really don't know.

udg