Android Question Need advice to use g drive file upload / download in folder by two separate mobiles, using same app

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am making an app which will function both as accountant and client, with following requirement
  1. Accountant mobile
    1. simple account , receive / payment
    2. use sqlite database
    3. create json from sqlite data
    4. upload the json to google drive folder
  2. Client mobile
    1. download json
    2. add in sqlite data
    3. show report
So I need sample for google drive folder upload / download.
Too many samples in Forum search and can not decide which should be correct for today's Android versions. So requesting to give lead which one to try first ?

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This is indeed much more complicated.

I would have used FirebaseStorage or your own server instead.
Using own server was my plan, but due to budget, I changed it to use g drive now. The json file won't will be too big, maybe 6/8 mb max.

I found some gdrive sample on the Forum, but wanted advise as using one by one each of them may take some time, to get the desired sample.
I would be grateful if some direction on gdrive can be given, on latest Android version.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

Brian Dean

Licensed User
Longtime User
Using own server was my plan, but due to budget, I changed it to use g drive now.
Do you need any functionality at the server end, or is it simply some storage space that can be shared? And is it a single-user (that is a single accountant/client pair) or do you need to scale it for many users?

Upvote 0

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Do you need any functionality at the server end, or is it simply some storage space that can be shared? And is it a single-user (that is a single accountant/client pair) or do you need to scale it for many users?
Thanks for query.
  1. Single user saves json file on server (in future may save also small image files too in same folder)
  2. multiple users (not more than 20/25) download this json and view report
The server just acts as storage and sharing. So, Gdrive fits the bill here.
I just need some lead in B4X to get it started.

Upvote 0

Brian Dean

Licensed User
Longtime User
Okay - if you simply need some web storage space for a few megabytes of data then there are plenty of free options, I think. I use this provider. I have several "servers", each one capable of storing 200MByte. Generally I simply use FTP and file date stamps to keep users updated with the latest file levels, but I have also used a simple PHP server. The storage is totally free, no advertising is involved. You do have to log in to your control desk once a year to keep your account alive.

Upvote 0

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Okay - if you simply need some web storage space for a few megabytes of data then there are plenty of free options, I think. I use this provider. I have several "servers", each one capable of storing 200MByte. Generally I simply use FTP and file date stamps to keep users updated with the latest file levels, but I have also used a simple PHP server. The storage is totally free, no advertising is involved. You do have to log in to your control desk once a year to keep your account alive.
Thanks for the info. I will look int it.

Just one question, why GDrive, which free and is available in most mobile, so complex to do the same ?

Upvote 0

Brian Dean

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just one question, why GDrive, which free and is available in most mobile, so complex to do the same ?
I really am not the person to ask, but I guess that the answer is "security". Nobody is going to make money from my files, which are generally game data or other information that is available, in some form or another, somewhere on the web. And anyway my data as secure enough because nobody is going to bother to look for it. And I have tried and failed to do better with both Google storage and Dropbox - I do not understand the vocabulary. Just my opinion.

Upvote 0

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I really am not the person to ask, but I guess that the answer is "security". Nobody is going to make money from my files, which are generally game data or other information that is available, in some form or another, somewhere on the web. And anyway my data as secure enough because nobody is going to bother to look for it. And I have tried and failed to do better with both Google storage and Dropbox - I do not understand the vocabulary. Just my opinion.
I understand. Google is creating more difficulty than helping developers.
And we are stuck with Android for the same.

Upvote 0