Android Question Need to Update Old App on Store but forgot private key password

aminoacid

Licensed User
Longtime User
Please help!
I have a couple of B4A Apps that were published on the Google Play store in 2014 and now I need to update them. However I have forgotten the password for the original Private Key so I cannot compile the apk with the original key. And the google play store will not allow me to update the app(s) with an apk that was compiled without the original key.
I see that there is no way to recover the password for the private key.
I would really appreciate any suggestions on the best way to solve this dilemma :mad::mad::mad: I'm sure there must be a simple solution and there are others that may have faced the same issue with old store apps.
Thanks!

[edit] - I found the password and succeeded in updating the Apps. However it would be good to know if there is an easy way to address this issue.

Last edited:

epiCode

Licensed User
There is ini file created by IDE called b4xv5.ini usually stored in '' C:\Users\{User Name}\AppData\Roaming\Anywhere Software\Basic4Android\b4xv5.ini "

It will have an entry called SignKeyPassword= which will have your password used to create the key.

There is a possibility that system has created a snapshot which may have your old ini file since files in appdata are monitored for changes.

You can find out if there is an old copy of the ini file by right click on filename > previous version tab.

PS: It is always a best practice to have your extremely important passwords stored in multiple places.

Upvote 0

aminoacid

Licensed User
Longtime User
There is ini file created by IDE called b4xv5.ini usually stored in '' C:\Users\{User Name}\AppData\Roaming\Anywhere Software\Basic4Android\b4xv5.ini "

It will have an entry called SignKeyPassword= which will have your password used to create the key.

There is a possibility that system has created a snapshot which may have your old ini file since files in appdata are monitored for changes.

You can find out if there is an old copy of the ini file by right click on filename > previous version tab.

PS: It is always a best practice to have your extremely important passwords stored in multiple places.

This is great to know! There were no previous versions of the ini file on my PC, but the current version had the most recent password. I looked at an old old laptop that I used with B4A when I first wrote the Apps and sure enough there was the old password. That's reassuring to know, had I not found the password, which happened to be right in front of my eyes, carefully saved in the program heading comments :D
Thanks for the tip.

Upvote 0