Share My Creation Neumorphism stylizer. This is not an app

Hi all,

I want to share my progress of something I've been working on during my free time, and has been growing and growing since then. It all started HERE

At this moment it is just a static app composed of: some low-level drawing routines, a set of intermediate helper Subs, and a high-level fake user interface screen. All of it a bit mixed yet.

The 'roadmap' is to polish it, adding a couple of additional designs, decide the set of needed helper functions, and refactor the code to provide this interface. The result will probably be a static code module and/or a compiled library and a sample app that makes use of this.

The final goal is to be used as a 'neumorphism stylizer', where you load a layout (or build it by code), and then apply it to the chosen elements with a set of user-understandable parameters.
As I see it, it makes sense to apply it to a set of 'basic' views, although it could also be applied (when it makes sense) to the base panel of some CustomViews. At the end it is only a question of design and make the result visually attractive. And, as this is a totally subjective matter, I stop here 😁

Layout example, with dark and light approach. Borrowed Anywhere Software's icon, hope Erel doesn't mind 😬

Screenshot_20200320-181920.png

The same can be achieved by other means, for instance making use of pre-made bitmaps. But I think that the approach of applying it in 'real time' to layout designs (with a bit of additional code, of course), makes sense.

I will share the code when I'm happy with it :)

Jorge M A

Licensed User
Sorry, maybe this is a silly question or not applicable at all, but how would look, say an editing text field, for example? (or any input field).

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry, maybe this is a silly question or not applicable at all, but how would look, say an editing text field, for example? (or any input field).
(There are not silly questions, only stupid answers :p)

The basic idea is to allow the user, at different levels, to apply shadows (insets, outsets or combined) to produce a slight (and consistent) 3D effect to the base of different views, all related to a unique base color.

Also, the idea is to provide helper functions to set font colors to the views, based on the chosen theme. And some 'automators' to, for instance, automatically apply these to layout designer elements that have a specific TAG (and treat them as some kind of script, but it is just an idea yet)

As I understand it (or read somewhere else), Neumorphism is somehow a minimalist flat design, with a bit of fresh air playing with the shadows to produce a subtle 3D effect. But it is not magic: a bad design, even if it uses neumorphism or any other 'theme', will still be a bad design.

Back to the question, as there is not a bible and one will still be able to parametrize it, the look will depend on the user. For instance, it could be similar to what is shown HERE , but you could also do it wit only insets and/or round corners.