Mashiane

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
3488DF1C-4EDD-47E9-B6BB-3385863C33F8.jpeg

edm68

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm embarrassed to ask, because I recognize the face, so he must be famous.
But, who is he?
Thanks.

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Jack Ma.

He's wanted to start an e-commerce business in the east to take on the likes of Amazon but for manufacturers (or something like that) but didn't know one single line of source code, so he just hired developers to do the work for him. His life story can be found on YouTube.

After being successful with Alibaba, his firm setup AliExpress for smaller resellers.

And now he's RICH...

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
it's the usual story: the developers are still poor (and stupid).
I cannot disagree more: there are some of us who are just poor or stupid and it would be pedantic to be both things at the same time!!! I jump from one to another from time to time. Stupid, isn't it? :D

Regarding the first post, unluckily environment decides more than what it seems for people, so when one of these stories happens it becomes viral. At a smaller scale, perhaps not everyone can totally decide his/her future, but at least we have some margin to fine-tune it

victormedranop

Licensed User
Longtime User
In my case i had a time consuming job with great payment. 3 broken marriages and high blood pressure . I quit. Now i can eat with my daughter almost everyday. Work everyday. And normal blod pressure. I'm rich and healthy.

Victor

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
In my case i had a time consuming job with great payment.
This is not being rich. Working hard, too much, can bring health problems; being rich and do not work does not make you have high blood pressure (and note that even poor people have high blood pressure).

If you are rich, you have so many resources at your disposal that surely they can make you live much better than those who are not.

Certainly wealth does not mean happiness; but even more certainly poverty does not mean happiness !!!

Anyway, as always "in medio stat virtus": working 4 hs/day, 5 days/week, earn € 5,000/month, having a nice home would probably be the best thing.

Last edited:

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Happyness is a transitory state, and even new born babies get to have them.
Being rich, although it is also a transitory state, is one that only arrives once in a lifetime (most of times) lasts a few years...
I do try to be aware of as many transitory states as I can... counting my blessings... still...

Dabzy1978

Licensed User
I'm in a normal 8 hour job, pay is great for 40 hours per week.

I came home from working away earning £1200 a week to getting £500 a week... Thats a big drop, but I'm home, amongst my friends and family, not stuck in hotel rooms or constantly propping up a bar... And I am happier for it, and people have noticed that in me as well.

£500 a week is good enough for me, it still lets me do things I enjoy, like playing golf, travelling, having meals and nights out with friends.

For now, I really dont need anymore, I'm free, can do what I want... I'm content! :)

Dabz