B4J Question New certificates for Push Notifications and Notarization - B4i & B4J

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
Good morning everyone,

I do not know in which forum of the related B4X IDEs (B4i & B4J) should I ask this question since it has to do with both so I am posting in both forums.
Today I received in my e-mail the following e-mail from Apple

Hello Nikolaos,

As a reminder, the intermediate certificate updates are now available for the Apple Push Notification service (APNs) and Developer ID.

Apple Worldwide Developer Relations Intermediate Certificate (G4)

APNs SSL certificates are now issued from a new intermediate certificate (Worldwide Developer Relations G4 sub CA) exclusively focused on APNs. Use this certificate to send push notifications to apps (including VoIP), complications, websites on Safari, and Apple Wallet passes.

Apple Developer ID Intermediate Certificate (G2)

The digital certificates you use to sign your software and installer packages on macOS are now issued from a new Developer ID Intermediate Certificate that expires on September 16, 2031. Newly issued Developer ID certificates associated with the new intermediate certificate can be used to sign software on Xcode 11.4.1 and later. If you’re running Xcode 13.2 or later, the updated certificate will download automatically when you sign software after January 28, 2022. If you’re using an earlier version of Xcode, download the certificate manually or create certificates compatible with previous versions of Xcode.

Your existing certificates will continue to function until expiration or revocation, whichever comes first.

So my questions are:

For the first certificate I understand that you only use this if you send push notifications. I do not for the time being but it doesn't hurt to know something more. I am not sure I understand completely the process. I know that SSL certificates are used in the Web to encrypt the connections and provide proof to the visitor that the site they are visiting is the correct one. That is, the client makes the request. When the server though makes the request obviously for encryption, it is the same but for assuring the receiving part of the site id I do not understand how does this work? If we already have an SSL certificate what will happen? I have searched the web and it confused me even more - see here:

For the second certificate does the notarizer has to be updated to sign mac apps or it will work ok as it is? I use a macincloud mac with XCode 11.4.1, What should I do?

Last edited:

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
Maybe I missunderstood or it was Apple being Apple...

Do I just have to create a new Developer ID and download it as seen here in instructions step 6 or is it something else?

Edit - Maybe it is something else because the e-mail contained also a link to a page in order to download the corresponding .cer files and the link was not from developer.apple.com. This is the link:

Last edited:
Upvote 0