Other [new feature] Auto backups

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
This feature was planned for a long time.
The IDE will make projects backups automatically:

SS-2018-12-03_17.38.53.png

The zip file created is the same zip that you will get with File - Export as zip.
It creates a new zip every 10 minutes (when there are changes).
It automatically deletes older backups based on a set of internal rules.

The frequency of kept files is lowered based on the files age. It starts with one file per 10 minutes and ends with one file every two months after 6 months.

It can be disabled if needed.

Edit: The backups are saved in the project folder inside a folder named AutoBackups.

Last edited:

Robert Valentino

Licensed User
Longtime User
Interesting. So now I will have backups of the backup.

I use this nice software program called MirrorFolder (https://www.techsoftpl.com/backup/support.php) real inexpensive $39.00 that backups up as you make changes.
So it is backing everything up to a different drive maybe I will change it's options to just backup the AutoBackup directory instead of everything in the folder.

Kool - Thanks Erel

Upvote 0

Jorge M A

Licensed User
I use this nice software program called MirrorFolder (https://www.techsoftpl.com/backup/support.php) real inexpensive $39.00 that backups up as you make changes.

I'm using FreeFileSync, free and powerfull software to external drive and FTP sync/backup projects, documents, etc.

FreeFileSync is a free and open-source program used for file synchronization. It is available on Windows, Linux and OS X. The project is backed by donations. Donors get a few additional features such as an auto-updater, parallel sync, portable version, and silent installation.

Opinion: Being open-source software, there is no dedicated telephone support. And for the novice, setting it up right at the beginning can be intimidating. But once set up, file sync becomes a breeze and no-brainer. It is also regularly updated approximately once a month.

Watch video tutorials, especially the last one, Tips & Tricks

Upvote 0

Jorge M A

Licensed User
Hi @LucaMs! Blessings for this New Year!

Can you trust sw that send your data?

If I am correctly understanding your question, I will comment:
Well, I have taken my precautions. I have verified the reputation of the software, verified the site with Virustotal.com and Kaspersky VirusDesk, scanned the file with Antivirus (Kaspersky and Avast, in different pc's). In my search I only found a false positive reported on the Norton site.
In my naive part, yes, I trust Open Source Sw... maybe i'm wrong...

By the way, ftp's are on my own servers.

On the other hand, I am only mentioning that option as a complement to the new functionality of AutoBackups, and mentioning that it is free, just in case I have not explained myself correctly enough.

If you know java,

No, I'm afraid not. I am encyclopedically ignorant in java. I ignore everything! :(

Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Well, I have taken my precautions. I have verified the reputation of the software, verified the site with Virustotal.com and Kaspersky VirusDesk, scanned the file with Antivirus (Kaspersky and Avast, in different pc's).
I think a sw can save your url (ftp) and your credentials somewhere and maybe at the next update of the software, get them.
I do not think an antivirus detects this.

On the other hand, being an open source there should not be this problem.

No, I'm afraid not. I am encyclopedically ignorant in java
Me too; but it's never too late to learn ;)

Hi @LucaMs! Blessings for this New Year!
I wish you a happy 2019 too.

Upvote 0