Android Question News Feed

Brian Dean

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think that you need to start with the server, and probably with a question in the B4J forum.

You will need a server with a database that can accept "posts", presumably a mixture of text and image and video content, and organise them into "topics" and "themes". You will not want to send an entire topic to each user every time they need updating, so you will also need a database of "users", what topics they are following, and which posts they have received and not received. Then you have to decide whether the server will notify users that new posts are available for topics that they are following, or wait for user contacts.

After you have designed the server architecture, including the communication protocols that you will use, you can start working on the clients. Will these be Android only, or also iPhone and PC?

I am not sure what sort of answer you were expecting. There are many more choices like this to be made. Facebook has a good head start.

Upvote 0
I think that you need to start with the server, and probably with a question in the B4J forum.

You will need a server with a database that can accept "posts", presumably a mixture of text and image and video content, and organise them into "topics" and "themes". You will not want to send an entire topic to each user every time they need updating, so you will also need a database of "users", what topics they are following, and which posts they have received and not received. Then you have to decide whether the server will notify users that new posts are available for topics that they are following, or wait for user contacts.

After you have designed the server architecture, including the communication protocols that you will use, you can start working on the clients. Will these be Android only, or also iPhone and PC?

I am not sure what sort of answer you were expecting. There are many more choices like this to be made. Facebook has a good head start.
dear brian...Thank you for replaying and sorry if my english is bad can you tell me where i can get a server? by server you mean Sqllite? and Yea i want it for Iphone too thanks again.

Upvote 0

Brian Dean

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry - I was busy yesterday and missed your post.

can you tell me where i can get a server?

I am not a web programmer, but I do have some web space. I use https://www.freehostingeu.com/ . You get very little storage space but you do get PHP and mySQL, you can sign up in a couple of minutes and it is completely free. You can throw it away and start again when you know more about where you are heading. There may be better sites - ask a question on the B4J Forum where the server experts live and you will get better advice.

I cannot judge how much knowledge and experience you already have, but if you type "web server" into the search bar you will find some useful tutorials, mostly in the B4J Forum, as I said before. You will find a lot of help on the forum, but you do need to make your questions more specific. Your first question was too "big" and that is why you did not get more responses.

Finally, don't worry about your English - it looks perfectly good to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dear Brian thank you Again for repliyng I have 3 months vb.net Experience but new to B4X... ok so what i want is like this thread system Where someone can start a thread online and others can reply and react... Can i do it in B4X? Thanks in Advance.

Upvote 0