Bug? Norton Sonar deletes b4a! ???

mc73

Licensed User
Longtime User
I know it's not a bug, but had to use something as 'prefix' :)
Contacting now.

James Chamblin

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm using Norton and have no issues with b4a. Any possibility your installation was infected by another download? Might want to do a complete disc scan, instead of the quick scan.

mc73

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yesterday everything ran fine, today I discovered that again Norton deleted b4a.exe! I applied an exception, now it's ok, but the whole thing is weird. I guess I'll make a deep scan and see what's going on.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Norton stinks :)

Turn off heuristic/deepscan/code emulation (in any antivirus) they're mostly based on guessing.

I can create a false positive with 2 or 3 lines of code that's still doing normal stuff.

James Chamblin

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm thinking, are you installing B4A in the default directory? I have mine installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Anywhere Software\Basic4android, which is default. If you have one of those systems that can't handle spaces, or you just decided to install in another directory besides default, it may be possible that B4A is behaving in such a way normal for Program Files (x86), but could indicate to Norton a virus from any other directory.

mc73

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel, the setup file was ok, so was the final exe. Yesterday it worked fine, until I restarted and then the exe was deleted again.

Sorex, guess you're right, actually my first post was just to see if anyone else had something similar. Seeing that this is not the case, I can proceed with my conf.

James, my installation is done at \basicforandroid outside of programFiles, yet, I don't see why this could cause a problem, but who knows? :)

DarrylSU

Licensed User
Longtime User
How did you get your files back? Norton just did the same thing to me and it isn't letting me restore them

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Compilers tends to create false positives, as they (per definition) modifies executable files. Usually, the virus killers has a whitelist of allowed compilers, and unusual tools like B4A or DrBatcher is not on that list.