B4J Question One Large Module vs. Several Small Ones (speed difference??)

MegatenFreak

Licensed User
Hello.
As the title suggests, comparing these two situations as an example:
1. a single module containing 5000 lines of code.
2. the same code, but split into 5 code modules, each a 1000 lines.

Now, it is obvious, of course, that splitting the code is a lot better in terms of readability and editing, and that's what I've been doing.
What I was wondering was that if I combine those small modules, group by group, into larger ones, will I get ANY boost to IDE and coding speed?
In other words, if I revise my 180 code modules and pack them into 50 larger code modules, will it help with IDE and intellisense speed?
Thanks.
(The real reason is that I have a 'bad feeling' about having so many code modules, and I thought maybe I'm doing something wrong)

Solution
(The real reason is that I have a 'bad feeling' about having so many code modules, and I thought maybe I'm doing something wrong)
You're doing it right, given these advantages:
Now, it is obvious, of course, that splitting the code is a lot better in terms of readability and editing
(+ ease of modification, debugging, upgrading, maintenance)
they are more important than anything else.

Rather, you could develop classes, rather than code modules, and make libraries of them.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You're doing it right, given these advantages:
Now, it is obvious, of course, that splitting the code is a lot better in terms of readability and editing
(+ ease of modification, debugging, upgrading, maintenance)
they are more important than anything else.

Rather, you could develop classes, rather than code modules, and make libraries of them.

Upvote 1
Solution

MegatenFreak

Licensed User
It would really help if I could make compiled libraries (not b4xlib), but unfortunately, almost all of the modules have layouts of their own. The app is a smart library information management system, with a massive number of different capabilities, each with their own pages.

Upvote 0