Wish Only one instance of ide is opened

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
When B4A ide is opened with a project and I double click on a .b4a file in explorer, a new ide is opened, fine.

Wish to make an option to load this .b4a project in the already opened ide ?
i.e. only one instance of ide is opened.

Regards,

Anand

ac9ts

Licensed User
Longtime User
I saw your post in the Questions forum and can see your and Pendrush's needs. I often have multiple IDEs open when I'm coding. Maybe the wish should be that you can only open one instance of a project but still have multiple different projects open?

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am not privileged as many here with bigger screen and many rams. My machine gets hots up and slows down at times, so I have to close some of the running programs. But I have to keep open browser, text editor and B4A ide along with some must have tools in memory.

That's why I requested to have an option for single instance of ide.

Those who can afford are welcome to not use this option in the ide, if and when Erel fulfills my wish.

Regards,

Anand

mangojack

Licensed User
Longtime User
Maybe the wish should be that you can only open one instance of a project but still have multiple different projects open?

+1

Sometimes I will have multiple projects open (comparing code etc) and will inadvertently reopen my main project again / again (via desktop shortcuts)
After some code changes and realizing the situation I do experience 'Heart flutters'

It would be good to at least receive warning the project is already opened in the IDE.

alwaysbusy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Doesn't solve the wish by the OP, but is a nice help for those who do want multiple IDEs open:

I made the small investment in Groupy by Stardock (5.99€) and haven't regretted it since. It automatically groups multiple instances of a window together with easy to access tabs. This way, all by B4J IDEs are nicely grouped together, just like my explorer windows and Web browsers.

Together with FancyZones (part of the free PowerToys tool by Microsoft to create complex window layouts and quickly position windows into those layouts), my desktop is a lot less cluttered

1590153549758.png

Alwaysbusy

mangojack

Licensed User
Longtime User
I made the small investment in Groupy by Stardock (5.99€) and haven't regretted it since. It automatically groups multiple instances of a window together with easy to access tabs. This way, all by B4J IDEs are nicely grouped together, just like my explorer windows and Web browsers.

ok... that does look interesting ! I'm in . I was a big fan of Stardock 'Fences' prior to my latest PC build (always try to rethink / change habits with new builds)

ps: Apologies @AnandGupta for the divergence.

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
ps: Apologies @AnandGupta for the divergence.
No, no. It always helps if one talks about something, as one can get idea from it :)

I have learnt a lot from masters here. And most important is "Find a Way or Make a Way", for example
KZero made xListview
which made Erel make a better PreoptimizedCLV

So I have solved my problem of closing the earlier opend B4A ide quickly, by just pressing ESC key, using my Esc Close

But programmer in me wants it automated.

Regards,

Anand

mangojack

Licensed User
Longtime User
@AnandGupta .. There is a small app that restricts multiple instances of apps running. Have tested it and it works.
Although it does not achieve you exact wish , you might find it useful.

There is a vb script I have not tested that kills the previous instance of an app first before opening second ... but have not tested it .

Also unsure if this would be detrimental in the long run.