Wish Open Designer

appie21

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi
(this is for all products)
I like the IDE of B4A very much

One thing irritates me a bit.

When I have work in the designer and I go back with alt + tab I come back in the main program( the code) When I work there do not remember if i had already opened the designer open before so I go to Designer and click Open designer again.

Then a new Designer will open I have to close that one....

So maybe add a option that if i click Designer you see a green checked that it is already opened?
Or when you click Designer again it bring the already opened designer to the front so that i can continue work.

Short say it is not visibly enough if Designer is already opened ort not.

Sometimes I have Open B4A, B4I and B4J....

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Having multiple instances of the Designer can be useful, for example, to open two layouts and copy some views (although copying also works using a single Designer).

Moreover, if in the new instance of the Designer you try to open the same layout already open, the IDE informs you of this and allows you to switch to the first instance.

Anyway this can be useful:
So maybe add a option that if i click Designer you see a green checked that it is already opened?

Original:
upload_2018-8-11_15-48-2.png

Already open 1:
upload_2018-8-11_15-51-45.png

Already open 2:
upload_2018-8-11_15-56-37.png

B4X:
        If ???? Then
            OpenDesignerToolStripMenuItem.BackColor = Color.Red
            OpenDesignerToolStripMenuItem.ForeColor = Color.White
            OpenDesignerToolStripMenuItem.Font = New Font("Courier", 14, FontStyle.Bold)
        End If
(Just to play again with VB.Net after years :D)

Last edited:

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It was always a little non-standard to only have the single menu selection of "Open Designer" off of the "Designer" toolbar menu, so why don't we clean this up like this...

If there are currently no opened designer windows, then "Open Designer" will be the only menu item displayed when "Designer" is clicked on the toolbar (as it does now).

But, if there are already one or more designer windows open, then have the Designer drop-down menu list all the activities of the currently opened designers like this:

Designer (toolbar)
Main
Network_Service
Calendar_Config
Open Designer
(the current option)​

This way, we can not only see if the designer is already open, but we can actually jump right to the one we want, and if there isn't already a designer open for a desired activity, then we can click the usual "Open Designer"

Last edited: