Our Success Story with Anywhere Software

morphe2011

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello All

We've been members of the B4a community for 4 years and B4i since it's launch. We are Basic developers and proudly so. I have been developing with one form of Basic or another since 1969- yes 1969. We started using VB3 in 1993 and switched to .Net ten years later. When we (mr3software) were asked to build a music app for indie artists in the spring of 2011, as the senior greybeard who "knew everything" the job was passed to me. Being no stranger to Java I at first spent 6 weeks beating my head against the wall known as Eclipse. It was only then that another team member discovered B4a and my head stopped hurting :)

Since then we've developed 38 B4a apps about half of which are custom. We currently have 3 more in development along with 7 B4i apps. In 40 plus years I'm busier now then even in the late 90's. If you are in this business to make money (and a know for a lot of you this is a wonderful hobby) Anywhere software is as rapid and cross platform a development tool as any that exists. Fiscal 2014 was our 2nd best year ever in part because these wonderful development tools allow for true rapid development. If anyone in the community wants more information send me a message or post here and I'm happy to share apps or details. Also happy to give an Anywhere reference to anyone who needs it. We are on Elance and Guru and of course our website.

Richard

lemonisdead

Licensed User
Longtime User
@tufanv : just visit they web site. They have some links to their apps on it

morphe2011

Licensed User
Longtime User
Good Day guys from the west coast of North America.

Yes our website shows some of our more recent work. We tend to only show work from the last year or so. In addition to what you see there are apps for Indie Music artists(how we got started with B4a), Hockey Clubs, roofing companies, document management, a cab company Stateside (80% of our work is Stateside), nursing facility, mobile Law Library (in the App store checkout Push Legal- the Droid version is getting finished today), an electric bike company (wrapped their website for them),custom GPS, retail discount (checkout retailroamer.com), etc.

As I wrote, we are Basic developers. In addition to the over 2000 VB/VB.net applications we have built websites, Droid apps and now we are building iOS apps. All are based on a version of Basic. We've tried other Basic compilers but none are as well built and maintained as B4a and none allow for the entire Ecosystem (including VS2015) as well as B4a does. It is soooooo nice to write once and then cut and paste.

Go to the Play Store and look up Idea Sort( which was actually our learning app from 2011 that has been rebuilt twice) and PetPal. Both are free and both were posted purely as portfolio apps. If you want to make money, custom apps, properly financed are the way to go at the Droid level. These in turn lead to custom desktop/web apps which is where the real money is. Building an ecosystem for Roamer or the hockey clubs is the goal and it works.

Our software is not perfect(none ever is), nor is it always elegant but it does what the client wants it to do. We are always looking for custom work and we always entertain resellers. Our POS is in use in North America, the UK and Thailand. Our Ticketing system would work anywhere. All of our software can have the interface in any left to right language or Hebrew(my older sister lives in Israel teaching English and is my translator).

We are on-line typically from 7AM to 10PM Pacific time seven days a week. Always happy to chat,

Richard

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I just can not understand what can be the road to success in this world.

I see (on your website) only that:

your AIR app has no downloads;

"Sort idea" has 10-50 downloads;

"Time and Task Management" google play link... actually links to your site :)

lemonisdead

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ha, ha, Sherlock Luca is in the place ;)
I guess that mr3software creates software for companies too. Reason why some apps, sold with their own brand, have less downloads than others :)

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Ha, ha, Sherlock Luca is in the place ;)
I guess that mr3software creates software for companies too. Reason why some apps, sold with their own brand, have less downloads than others :)

This is probably the best way to earn, not via Google Play.

But very often (or perhaps ever) companies want the source code and that it is written in Java, not in B4A.

lemonisdead

Licensed User
Longtime User
But very often (or perhaps ever) companies want the source code and that it is written in Java, not in B4A.
You are right, some companies do want the Java sources and other don't. From my experience, I was never asked some sources because I am dealing with small companies where people are focused on the app provided more than on the ability to develop from. And I am priced to reply to those needs.
And if someone would ask me to provide any source, I would only be able or to explain the tools I do use or would refuse (do they ask MS Excel's sources (I don't know if they are some available at MSDN)).

morphe2011

Licensed User
Longtime User
If you are in business to make money you need to take ego out of the equation. We could not care less if our name is on it so long as we get paid. The Java issue is also a non issue. All custom work comes with the source code. Once they pay for it, they own it. I'm always upfront about the tools we use. As Erel can attest, if they want to use the source code they have to buy a license. Most don't they just want to have what they have paid for. For desktop apps with VS2015 being free if they want to own the source code, we charge an extra amount. We will sell any of our source code to anyone for a price.

No business model is right or wrong, it's about what you want. 30 years ago We wanted to license everything, today we sell everything- no on going support charges.

On the Play Store, we just last week revised the listings making almost everything free. It's about the portfolio which leads to more work.

abhishek007p

Licensed User
Longtime User
We are Basic developers and proudly so. I have been developing with one form of Basic

Good to see another BASIC developer. i am doing VB6/VB.NET from the last 15 yrs and B4X from the last 2. and i can feel the same as you, when things started to move to mobile in 2010 i got directionless until i found B4X. i even spent time coding in Java but it was a steep learning curve and i had to do something fast to remain in profit.

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm making an order/deliver system for a startup company. Backend is a website built on PHP/MySQL, frontend will be 2 apps for Android and iOS. I don't take their money, I'll take their company shares instead and they named me "CTO" ! :rolleyes:

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
You mean B4J for backend? I thought about this but they want to access backend from any device include Mobile, PC, Mac...

gareththomasnz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yeah he wanted native android - next he wants a game

I have a new client asking now for an app with over 40 panels to select from drop down & more complicated screen with graphics & text fields

I have told him its too expensive to do with native android & use web

If I build a web app with B4J can I use a spliced PSD for my interface?

morphe2011

Licensed User
Longtime User
For me it's all about where you are in your coding career. 31 years ago I took a deal like that and I've done a number of spec jobs like that since then which is how we ended up with our own branded products. If I had a dollar for every one of these that have come across my desk I'd be retired for the second time. We now prefer cash but to each their own and for the right idea I'll always consider it.