Android Question Performance issues with B4A in VMware Win7 64bit

owensct

Licensed User
Longtime User
All,

I have set up a VM for doing development on my PC with a Virtual Machine using VMWare Workstation 11 and the performance of B4A is horrible. When I go to type a simple line in the editor, for example:

Number1 = Rnd(1, 10) ' Generates a random number between 1 and 9

I have to pause partway through the line and it takes the editor about 30 seconds to catch up.

The specs for the VM are as follows:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
1 CPU
4GB RAM
Two disks C: (50gb 33.6gb free) I: (B4A, java Android SDK installed here. 70gb 32.4GB free)
Installed Java jdk-8u60-windows-x64.exe
Basic for Android version 5.20, (licensed not trial)
I am using the B4A bridge to link to my tablet, (could that be slowing it down?)
Android SDK with Platforms 6.0 (API23), 5.1.1 (API22), 4.4.2 (API19) and 4.1.2 (API16)
USB drivers for Motorola Xoom and Samsung Note II, (Both Verizon)
Devices being used for development are a Motorola Xoom, Android 4.1.2 and Samsung Note II Android 4.4.2
In addition to the required apps for B4A The VM has a very limited set of applications installed
Printer drivers, (Epson and HP)
DropBox
AutoIt
AutoIt editor
MS Office Pro Plus 2010
Chrome
IE
Paint.net
VirtualCloneDriver (For mounting ISO's)
Agent Ransack (Search tool)

Host PC specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 2.83GHz
8GB DDR2 memory
NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 display adapter
3 SSD hard drives 1 Mechanical hard drive, all with plenty of free space (VM does not reside on the mechanical)

I'm not sure if there is something I'm missing or if B4A just doesn't work well in a VM. If anyone has any pointers or things I can check I would appreciate it.

Just an FYI I want to run B4A, (in fact all my dev tools) in VM's as this is my personal desktop and sometimes Dev tools, (Like Visual Studio) can really cause issues with other applications when installed on a daily driver system.

Thanks

Gordon

Last edited: