Posting Code The Proper Way

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
There is not a day that goes by when we do not see this, either by Erel or another forum user:
Please use [ code ] [ /code ] tags (without spaces) when posting code.
Is there a way that the forum script can detect that code has not been posted with the proper code tags and alert the creator to correct it. It may not be easy to do when very little code is posted, but when several lines make up the code, it may be beneficial.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Please use [ code ] [ /code ] tags (without spaces) when posting code.

... you can do it more simply using:

upload_2014-11-16_13-48-34.png

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Not worth it.
@LucaMs: You are something else. It is definitely worth it if Erel can implement it. The purpose of this thread is not to show which is the better way to post code, but to alert the user to use code tags. Have you tried to review 50 or 100 lines of posted code without code tags and make sense of it?

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Have you tried to review 50 or 100 lines of posted code without code tags and make sense of it?

We're talking about this!

But the response of Erel:
However it requires editing the forum script which is not so simple and requires more work when updating the forum.

makes me think it's not worth doing much work.
He certainly has more important things to do (many "Wish"es included :)).

You can reply to people who post like that with a link to your first post here.

mangojack

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think the majority of times new members post code unaware of the requirement to use tags until told to do so.. or
wonder how others post code correctly ,but search in vain for the method.(as I did)

On that note .. is there a link to any page that set out forum rules / etiquette / new post tips /tricks (like Erels tags above) etc.
Like a Tutorial / Summary on the forum/thread/post UI .. and if so could that not be 'forced upon' new members ..

Only yesterday I spent nearly a hour attempting to find out how to post '@member' but failed ..
Guaranteed it is the most simplest things to do ..

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I would go for a "must read upon registration" script or an automatic re-direct to a "how to Post in the Forum"...

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Only yesterday I spent nearly a hour attempting to find out how to post '@member' but failed ..
Guaranteed it is the most simplest things to do ..
@mangojack Yes, type @ then start typing the user name (no space between), you should automatically get a list to select from.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If you really want to help someone (I begin to have a suspicion that this is not worth it :D), you can do it even if the "requester" did not use the tags.

Suggest to use them;
select & copy his code;
paste the code in your response using the tags, without sending the response (or copy it into a B4A module).

Then, change forum without answering :D:p:D

mangojack

Licensed User
Longtime User
Note: This does not work if you've disabled rich text editor in forum preferences.

Ok .. I give up .. forum preferences are located where ?

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hover the mouse over your user name, just under the search box, in the pop up (you should see one) halfway down on the left.