iOS Question Problem starting B4i v5.81

JohnCLB

Licensed User
Hi,
Just updated B4A to v9 and and B4i to v5.81. The B4A upgraded smoothly.

The B4i has a problem in that it starts up, puts up the “B4i” splash screen, the screen goes black and then hangs with both cores taking about 30%.

Is this a problem with V5.8 or something underneath? I am running Windows 7 under Vmware V11.1 on a MacBook Pro with Mojave 10.14.5. The new B4A works fine as did B4i V5.5.

Any ideas?
John.

JohnCLB

Licensed User
Thanks for the tips, Erel.

One of the advantages of running on a virtual machine is that ability to snapshot. Luckily I did this before upgrading. I restored the snapshot, made a new directory and installed version 5.81 into that. Running the new version had the same results. I then re-ran it from the command like with the "-log" switch on. I killed the process after a while and saved the log (attached).

The problem seems to be a NullReferenceException, viz:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at z.b(Int32 A_0, Object A_1)

The B4i v5.5 still works ok.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• log.txt.zip
    9.4 KB · Views: 150
Upvote 0

JohnCLB

Licensed User
Yes, indeed you do!
I tried running it from the command like with the -log switch and it too produced a log file which I have attached.

Attachments

• log.txt.zip
    4.1 KB · Views: 142
Upvote 0

JohnCLB

Licensed User
Presuming that you meant:
To disable the auto-bookmarks:
1. Close the IDE.
2. Edit: C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Anywhere Software\B4i\b4xV5.ini
3. Set ShowAutoBookmarks to False.

I don't have that field in the file...

FolderView.PNG

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I see. The IDE was never closed properly so the field is not there. However I don't think that it will help so don't bother adding it.

A beta of B4A is planned to be released next week. This will be an opportunity to further debug this issue. In the meantime you should try to change the display driver settings or other settings of the VM.

Upvote 0

JohnCLB

Licensed User
The world is a happy place again. Very many thanks Erel. I updated the .Net framework to the latest version (4.7.2) and B4i magically started working. Even more surprising was that (using B4iBuildServer 5.8), I could now start building on my MacBook again! I still lose my Google account password from the keychain but at least it works so I can carry on with my real job.

The moral of this story is: Keep the infrastructure up to date!
Thanks again,
John.

Upvote 0