Python

Scotter

Licensed User
Hi -
I wonder if you have thought any about something like "B4P" or "P4A" or "P4i", using a Python-like syntax?
As far as I know, there is not yet a

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
it's kind of useless.

if you want python syntax then why not use python? All you need is a text editor to get started.

it also has GUI capabilities.

you can use B4J and call python scripts via shell if you really want to use something python based that's hard to convert.
(for example data generating with multiprocessing instead of multi threading to gain speed)

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi -
I wonder if you have thought any about something like "B4P" or "P4A" or "P4i", using a Python-like syntax?
As far as I know, there is not yet a

In this case you will need B4P4A
Because the goal of B4A is to shield the popular Basic users from the complexity of JAVA. now we use B4A without having to learn JAVA.. Python is not as popular.. If one must learn python then why not learn JAVA and program directly?

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
There is a Python library created by @wonder

Scotter

Licensed User
In this case you will need B4P4A
Because the goal of B4A is to shield the popular Basic users from the complexity of JAVA. now we use B4A without having to learn JAVA.. Python is not as popular.. If one must learn python then why not learn JAVA and program directly?
Assuming [logic] when you say "Python is not as popular," you mean not as popular as VB, because of the way you phrased things. Even more logical would be if you were saying Python is not as popular as Java but that doesn't fit this discussion. So... please re-investigate Python's popularity, because it is one of the top 2 or 3 most popular languages there are, depending on what survey and what use case you are looking at.
And... I'm newish to Python and finding it is VERY similar to server-side VBscript, like one would use to make Classic ASP pages (my old specialty).
Which brings me to your other semi-assertion, that Python is in some way difficult. FAR from the truth. Again, if you do a search, you will find pretty quickly that one of the primary reasons Python is so popular is that it is considered highly rapid development. I remember when I was first thinking of getting into it, I looked at the syntax and was impressed with how similar it was to VB; loosely typed, no need for some special character at the end of lines, and a ton of built-in functions for handling text, etc. Also, a HUGE support community.
So maybe I wasn't clear in what I was asking: That it would be nice to have something like "P4A" where the syntax is Python-like instead of Basic-like (not very different syntax) and yeah, as you say, it would convert to Java for Android.
That all said, I hear Erel saying no plans for this, so oh well, heh.