iOS Question Rapid Debugger failed error

Lori Scott

Licensed User
I see from the forum that this is common issue, but I don't see any common solution. I've observed that when I first run the app I'm developing in B4i debug mode (debug is the only mode available) it connects to my iPad and runs fine. When I go back to the Designer, make a change, and try to run again, I get the message "An error occurred. Rapid Debugger failed to connect to process. Please try to run again." The option to Install pops up on the iPad, but when I Install, I get a black screen with the message "IP address 192.168.***.*** Waiting for IDE to Connect". At the same time, in the bar at the bottom of the Code editing window on the PC, there appears a message "Trying to connect to device (192.168.***.***). Make sure to start B4i-Bridge." even though I had already connected the B4i-Bridge.

It seems as though the B4i-Bridge previously opened didn't close so now I can't open a 'new' bridge to run the app again. If I close the bridge and app icons that are showing in my iPad dock (long tap-jiggle-tap x), and close my B4i program on the PC, then reopen the bridge on the iPad and reopen the B4i editor and project, go to Tools/Device IP Address/iPad192.168.***.*** F2 again to reconnect and run the app again, then it will run (usually). This is time-consuming. Is there a quicker, easier way to close the original connection so that the bridge is available to run the app again?

Lori Scott

Licensed User
Since I posted the previous message, the B4i-Bridge stopped connecting. Every project I try to connect with gives a Ping failed message. Nothing else has changed that I'm aware of. There was a new iOS version pushed this morning, but the bridge worked after that. I uninstalled/reinstalled the B4i-Bridge. Still won't ping. The IP address the PC is trying to ping matches the IP address showing on the iPad.

Upvote 0

Lori Scott

Licensed User
The ping failure resolved itself without any intervention, so I assume the network had a temporary glitch. However, the bigger question is in my previous post regarding the need to close B4i on the PC and close B4i_Bridge on the iPad every time I make a coding change before I run the program again. Otherwise the bridge connection fails. There must be a better way.

Upvote 0

Lori Scott

Licensed User
I opened only one B4i project. There is only one instance of B4i showing in the taskbar on my PC. On the iPad there are icons for several B4i projects that I have previously run. They are all closed. When I double tap on the home key to see all tasks, they are not showing.

This is my procedure...
1. (With B4i closed on my PC) Tap the B4i-Bridge icon on the iPad to open the bridge. It opens to a white screen with a black message box listing the iPad's IP address and "Waiting for IDE to connect to B4i-Bringe..."
2. Open B4i on the PC. Open a saved B4i Project.
3. Open Tools\Device IP Address\iPad [IP address]. As soon as I click this, the black message box on the iPad disappears, indicating the the connection has been achieved on the B4i-Bridge.
4. I might open the Designer in the B4i project on the PC and choose a layout file. If so, the WSIWYG appears on the iPad.
5. Whether I used the Designer or not, I can click on Run and the current version of the project will go through the B4i-Bridge. I will get a window offering me an option to Install the project. I click Install. The project runs. [All good so far]
6. I make a change to the code or the Designer layout in B4i on the PC. I click run. I get an error message
RapidDebugFailure.PNG

TheB4i-Bridge on the iPad has gone to black screen with the message "IP address.....Waiting for IDE to Connect". The B4i window on the PC has a message in the lower blue margin "Trying to connect to device (lists the correct IP address). Make sure to start B4i-Bridige". I try Tools\Device IP Address\iPad [IP address] again. Nothing happens.
7. I close everything (app and bridge on iPad, B4i editor and designer on PC). I start again at step 1. Everything works perfectly again through step 5 above.
8. I've tried closing only the app or only the bridge, or both but keeping B4i editor open on the PC. I've also tried pressing Run again, after the Rapid Debugger failed message. When closing the app but not the bridge or the editor and hitting Run again, the following appears in the Logs window: "An error occurred:
(Line:0) 0

Upvote 0

Lori Scott

Licensed User
cont....
java.lang.RuntimeException: Wrong version of debug app started. Press on Tools - Clean project to reinstall the app.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
java.lang.RuntimeException: Wrong version of debug app started. Press on Tools - Clean project to reinstall the app.
This error can sometimes happen if the installed debug version doesn't match the current version. Uninstall the device app, clean the project and run again. It should be solved.

About the rapid debugger error. Have you tried to disable the anti virus?

Upvote 0

Jack Cole

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am having this problem too. One copy of b4i running. The bridge app pops up with the dialog box asking to install the app. This is when b4i on the PC pops up with the message reported by Lori. I tried restarting b4i, closing all running tasks on the iPad, and reconnecting to the bridge app. I even tried reinstalling the bridge app.

Upvote 0

Jack Cole

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel,
It seems like a good place to check your code would be on the b4i side where it starts waiting for the connection to the app. It seems like it is expecting the app to already be installed on the device, but the bridge app is trying to install the app instead of launching the already installed debug version.

Upvote 0