Android Question RDC and time zone

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
When inserting records with RDC, does it provide the local time zone for the current session?

Using MySQL
In my B4A app, I convert my DateTime fields to ISO8601 simple format (2014-05-02 14:31:01) to insert into a TIMESTAMP field on my server. Both PHP and MySQL server zone are set to UTC.

MySQL docs state that TIMESTAMP type will take the data provided and convert it to UTC for storage. Then when selecting from web client, data will be converted back to whatever the connected client's timezone is. DATETIME type does not provide this function.

When I view posted data using MyphpAdmin, the Timestamp fields show the exactly what I posted - and not the offset (-07:00) as I would expect??? That is why I asked if sessions time zone offset it known. EDIT: phpAdmin is providing the same (-7) time zone offest... duh..

When submitting dates, should I first convert the date to UTC or just submit it as local time?

Very confused...

Thanks

Last edited:

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
RDC doesn't modify the data in any way. It is up to you to decide which exact data should be stored.

Thanks Erel. I know it doesn't modify data, just wondered if MySQL knew what the timezone was of the client that sent the data to RDC (I think it does).
I shall experiment some more and report back.

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0