Android Question Read html from database field

Pedro Caldeira

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello All,
I am trying to read an html string stored in a mediumtext type field in (sqlite)
If I copy the string directly, paste it into a file, save it as html as read it, its correct.
But if I read it in B4A, reading it from a resultset to a string, its loses its format.
I get . (dot) in place of CRLF, etc.
I already tried to use textwriter with UTF-8 encoding , getbytes and bytestostring with the html data, nothing.

Is there a way to get around this ?

Examples of the strings

copied From DB field and pasted to notepad++
B4X:
<div class="row" style="margin-top:50px; margin-bottom: 10px; min-height:0px">
    <div class="col-4">
        <div style="">
            <p style="text-align:left">:__REPORT_MODEL</p>
        </div>
    </div>

<div class="col-4">
        <div style="">
            <p style="text-align:center; opacity: 0.5; color:#C9CCD5">:__EXECUTION_NUMBER</p>
        </div>
    </div>

<div class="col-4">
        <div style="">
            <p style="margin-right:25px; text-align:right">P&aacute;gina {PAGENO} de {nb}</p>
        </div>
    </div>
</div>

copied from the resultset and pasted to notepad++

B4X:
<div class="row" style="margin-top:50px; margin-bottom: 10px; min-height:0px">.     <div class="col-4">.         <div style="">.             <p style="text-align:left">:__REPORT_MODEL</p>.         </div>.     </div>. .     <div class="col-4">.         <div style="">.             <p style="text-align:center; opacity: 0.5; color:#C9CCD5">:__EXECUTION_NUMBER</p>.         </div>.     </div>. .     <div class="col-4">.         <div style="">.             <p style="margin-right:25px; text-align:right">P&aacute;gina {PAGENO} de {nb}</p>.         </div>.     </div>. </div>

drgottjr

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i would use:
B4X:
        dim buffer() as byte = rs.GetBlob("field_name")
        dim defstring as string = BytesToString( buffer, 0, buffer.Length, "UTF8")
the encoding is most likely UTF8, but keep iso-8859-1 and windows-1252 in mind. you might have to try with different encoding.
the "." is the key to the solution (for me, at least). you also refer to "etc". i don't know what else you're including in that.
the "." is chr(10), aka CRLF in b4a, but sqlite appears to convert it for storage as a string (which it isn't). if you know you'll have non-printing characters in your string, you could store it as a blob in the first place.
in one of my databases, i have non-printing characters in some strings. i store them as text, but i found that i had to read them back as blob and then convert to string in order not to lose those characters. i'm guessing it's the same story for you.

Upvote 0