Android Question Receiving pictures from a PC (VB6) server

Carlos Muniz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi:

A am trying to receive jpg pictures from a PC server. I couldn't find a good example everywhere. Can anyone help me with a good and (mainly) simple example ? Please,
tell the library used in the example.

Thank you very much.

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have an VB6 Server, wrote by me, running in a PC. I need to send several info and several pictures from the PC to the phone.
OK, since you wrote the VB6 Server yourself, we have no idea what protocols it supports. So we have some questions:

1) Can you point us to the sample code you used to make your vb6 server, or can you tell us more details on how it works? For example, does it use HTTP or UDP packets, etc.
2) Will this B4A app be a personal app for yourself that will NOT be posted to the Play Store?
3) Will you only be downloading images? and not upload/delete, etc?
4) How will B4A app know the names of the images that you want to download?
5) Will the B4A app be using a webview to connect to your server?
6) We are assuming you also want to use the app through the internet and remotely connect to your PC, is this a correct assumption?

Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have an VB6 Server, wrote by me, running in a PC. I need to send several info and several pictures from the PC to the phone.
Is it mandatory to use your VB server to communicate with the B4A app?
If no then you can use another server. You can use server like IIS or Apache but I recommend Laragon as a local development server.
If you need to run your VB server which run on port 80, make sure another server is not using the same port number.

Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
didn't know about it
I actually didn't know about it either until last year when dyndns really jacked up their prices, so I went looking for alternatives.

DynDns really has a monopoly because a lot of the ipcams have only DynDns as an option because dyndns was free years ago. But now everyone is forced to pay because there is no other way to configure older cams to use another service.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carlos Muniz

Licensed User
Longtime User
OK, since you wrote the VB6 Server yourself, we have no idea what protocols it supports. So we have some questions:

1) Can you point us to the sample code you used to make your vb6 server, or can you tell us more details on how it works? For example, does it use HTTP or UDP packets, etc.
2) Will this B4A app be a personal app for yourself that will NOT be posted to the Play Store?
3) Will you only be downloading images? and not upload/delete, etc?
4) How will B4A app know the names of the images that you want to download?
5) Will the B4A app be using a webview to connect to your server?
6) We are assuming you also want to use the app through the internet and remotely connect to your PC, is this a correct assumption?

1) The SERVER (Windows10 VB6 PC) uses Winsock1 for conection. The protocol is TCP/IP. the CLIENT (phone) ask for data of a given person: name, address, phone number and a PICTURE. The Server (PC) which can works through a local network or even Internet answers transmitting the person data. The CLIENT stores the data and show the Picture in an ImageView.
2) The B4A App is a personal App, not in the Play Store.
3) The info and imagens will be from the PC to the phone, only.
4) The phone will ask, for example, info of John Lennon, Peter Frampton, Keith Emerson and Prince.
5) B4A will use a DNS machine named NO-IP.
6) Completely correct !

Upvote 0

Carlos Muniz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Is it mandatory to use your VB server to communicate with the B4A app?
If no then you can use another server. You can use server like IIS or Apache but I recommend Laragon as a local development server.
If you need to run your VB server which run on port 80, make sure another server is not using the same port number.
Yes, it is mandatory.
I use port 95.

Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Regarding #1, ok now that we know its not a full-blown typical Web/IIS server, then you would need to create a custom protocol/hand shake/format of how the client asks for the data, and how the data is returned to the client.

Did you do this already? For example, did you already create a VB6 client app that does what you want and now you want to convert it to B4A?

Upvote 0